Sewing a Christmas Elf

I could not miss the competition for the best Christmas toy and many people asked me how to sew a Christmas elf. I will tell and show you how to sew an elf. Elves are a symbol of wealth and prosperity in family, they will become a peaceful gift for New Year or Christmas. It's not too difficult to sew it, the main thing is to be patient :)

To sew an elf, we will need:

• fleece for the elf's body (I have thick fleece);
  • fabric for the cap and the shoes (you can use drape cloth, fleece, thick knit);
  • fabric for the jacket (choose the fabric at your discretion, look what you have at home, I have suiting);
  • yarn;
  • knitting needles;
  • a needle;
  • padding polyester or filler.

Print the pattern and cut the details. The size of the elf is 23 cm in full length. In my photo there are not all pattern pieces, because I modified them in the process.

Cut out the details according to the markings on the pattern, don't forget to turn them over when cutting. Make seam allowances of 0.5 cm from the edge. For the gonme's body I took beige fleece, for the cap and the booties — drape cloth, you can take any fabric as long as it doesn't fray. For the legs cut the rectangles with a size of 4*9 cm.

Fold the rectangle with face inside and stitch stepping 0.5 cm from the edge.

Turn out the legs and sew them to the bottom of the body. Sew both body parts together, leaving the top unsewn to turn it out.

Baste the bottom to the body.

Stitch the bottom and sew the arms on a sewing machine, leaving unsewn a distance from the top to turn the piece out.

Turn the body and the arms out through the unsewn holes. Make a decorative seam on the cap with running stitches, I did that with a yarn of medium thickness. Baste a loop to hang the toy on a Christmas tree if desired.

Fill the body and the arms with padding polyester, distribute it evenly to avoid lumps and bumps (you can use a convenient tool), sew the cap connecting the edges, stitch (numbers 1 to 2 on the pattern) on a sewing machine and turn it out. Embroider a snowflake on the center of the cap.

Now make tassels for the cap, wound yarn on a ruler (or on two fingers). Put a needle with thread from one side.

Tie a knot on the thread leaving the ends of about the same length.

Then leave one needle with thread and take the second thread to wrap our tassel and tie a knot.

Cut our tassel, make two more for the ears of the cap.

Sew the tassels to the cap. Sew up the stuffing hole with blind stitches.

Now we will make the hair for our elf, take yarn (I have acrylic, thick, twisted thread) and put the needle throughout the length of the yarn, trying to separate fibers and fluff them up. The hair length is 9 cm.

Put on the cap, try on the hair, where they will be located.

Sew the hair.

Sew the cap to the dwarf's head with one seam so that it doesn't fall apart during the fitting.

Sew on the arms.

Take the nose detail and make running stitches along the edge, cinch it, put inside a bit of padding polyester. Sew up the nose, leave no holes, fix it with a knot.

Sew the elf's nose to the center, stepping back a little from the cap.

Now we have to knit the socks, I've made 13 loops (I have knitting needles for socks and yarn of a medium thickness). First I knitted 8 rib rows, then 20 rows with knit stitches, alternating colors (2 rows per color).

Sew the socks from the inside, turn them out, and put on the legs.

Cut out the shoes.

Sew the front part of the booties (I just made a decorative seam with running stitches).

The inner side of the heel is sewed on a sewing machine.

Turn them out on the front side and sew the sole seam with running stitches.

Fill the booties with padding polyester and make laces for them. For the laces you need two colors of yarn of 22 cm, connect them together on one side. Then hold one end of the thread, and begin to twist the second end, the more you twist the thread, the more coils you will have. When you twisted it, you need to join the ends together holding them, they will twist together and make a knot at the end.

Make holes on the booties and insert the laces.

Before you sew on the shoes, sew the socks to the legs.

Then sew the shoes to the socks and the legs in a circle. If the strings of fabric come out or fluff, you need to cut them carefully.

Cut out the jacket for the elf.

Make a decorative stitching on the edge of the sleeves and the jacket.

Sew the sleeves along the seam (number 3 and 4) and turn them out. Baste the sleeves in the armholes of the jacket, connecting the numbers of the sleeves with the numbers of the jacket.

Stitch on a sewing machine.

Put a jacket on the elf and sew the cap to the jacket and the elf.

I also need to sew the cap in front. After my daughter tested such an elf, I sew on everything, the legs of the elf which I made last year stretched, while he was shaken by his feet :)

Sew buttons to the jacket, to both halves of the jacket.

The cap is made of drape cloth was not soft, it didn't hang, I decided to stitch it in one place. You can leave it as you like.

At the end you can use a dry brush with white paint to paint the elf.

Admire the result! Let the Christmas elf in the coming year be a talisman for your home :)

This DIY was filmed with my younger daughter, so things for shooting were constantly lost, then they were no longer in their original place :) Some of the shots are made later, so the photo with the sewing of the shoes was made after (the elf is already in the jacket), we had lost the elf's arms three times until we sewed them into place, and she couldn't wait for the second elf to appear.

It appeared :)

Thanks for reading my DIY to the end! This time I have a small request to you, if you liked this DIY, please vote for it :)

If you have any questions regarding this DIY, I will gladly answer them in comments :)