"Heart" Handmade Cotton Christmas Toy

Annual Christmas boom starts with gifts and Christmas tree decorations.
Prepare sleighs in summer and Christmas decorations in November!

I especially admire handmade Christmas ornaments style which has become very popular.
They are often very simple, impressive toys, filled with the warmth of home.
I will tell you about the toys that I liked the most. I will gladly give them to my friends.
So:

We will need simple materials and tools.

Materials:

• a button or a bow;
  • bright fabric of 2 types (I use cotton);
  • twine (or a string);
  • padding polyester;
  • a sheet of paper.

Tools:

• thread/a needle (or a sewing machine);
  • scissors;
  • a pencil.

1. Cut out a paper pattern for our future toy. I have 2 hearts of different shape.

2. Choose a fabric for the base and fold it in half face inward.

3. Draw out a heart on the fabric with a pencil.

4. Sew on the pencil line on a sewing machine (or by hand). Notice that we stitch without holes for stuffing. The seam is made without stops.

5. Cut the stitched heart leaving about 0.5 cm from the seam. Make notches with scissors at the rounded parts, and in the "tick" of the heart, so that when you turn the fabric to the right side the fabric is not pulled. Make the notches carefully, do not cut the seam.

6. Important! Make a vertical cut down the middle of the heart. To do this, take a horizontal pleat. The cut is quite small, about 1.5-2 cm.

7. Turn out the heart through the cut, straighten it and stuff with padding polyester.

8. After you stuffed it with padding polyester, sew with a simple, free seam (not to cut the cotton). The seam is closed, so it doesn't play any aesthetic role, but only functional one, so that the padding polyester does not get out and disturb us.

9. Cut out small hearts from another kind of fabric (companion), 2 identical pieces. Place them on the main heart from two sides, cover the seam with one of them.

10. Sew the small heart by the edge. I deliberately made a sloppy seam, to create the effect of rustic style, it is an expressly handmade work.

11. Sew a button in the middle of the little heart, put a needle through the heart and sew a button on the other side. Thus, the heart is clamped between the buttons. Hide the knot under the button.

12. Take a piece of twine, about 20-30 cm. Fold it in half. Leave a small loop and long edges in order to make a bow of them later.

13. Determine the point between the loop and the ends and sew the "tick" of the heart in the middle. The twine should not move. To do so, you can put the needle not only around the twine, but also directly through the twine. Hide the knot under the twine.

14. Make a bow of the twine ends. Optionally, you can make decorations, embroidery or sew beads.

Here's the result! These hearts can be hung as a garland on a string, you can hang them on a Christmas tree or make sachets for your home. There are many use cases, so it is a great gift!