How to Clean Brushes, a Palette Knife and a Palette

If you have a lot of brushes and palette knives and you use them every day, the problem of cleaning arises very often. Sometimes in a creative impulse you can easily forget that you left brushes dirty. Later it is very difficult or almost impossible to clean them. Especially if you used acrylic paints. They dry very quickly. It is easier with oil. A brush can live a couple of days until you remember about it. But if you leave it for a week, the paint will have time to set and to freeze. So I suggest to create a "ritual of purification". Especially for those artists who draw much and often.

I can tell by my own example. For me, it has become a habit. Every evening when I finish work in my small studio, I put all the tools in their places. New works dry on a separate shelf. The easel is folded and put into a corner. Then I wash all the jars and fill them with fresh water. It is faster and easier to start a new work like that. I put all the brushes in a work towel and carry them to a sink. So I dry them on a towel. I clean palette knives once a week.

Hope these little life hacks for artists will facilitate your creative process.

1. Palette knives can be cleaned with a scraper. Please be careful when working with a blade! I advise you to do this work on the surface that you may spoil. You can use glass.

2. A glass palette can also be cleaned with a scraper. But most of all I liked to use a paper tear-off palette. It is very convenient!

3. Brushes can be cleaned with the following means:

• Flax seed oil (you can use sunflower oil);
  • Thinner for artistic works;
  • Water and soap.

Acrylic paint is well washed with warm water and soap. It is better to wash oil paint with a special art thinner, regular sunflower or flax seed oil. You can then wash it in soapy water.
If you make this cleaning after each use, your tools will serve you for many years!
I've made a video for those who likes not only to read but also to watch! You can consider everything in detail in it! Pleasant viewing!

Love your tools!