Messing Around With a Crochet Hook and Knitting Needles

My favourite genre of essay makes it possible to resign myself to meditation and even to literary mess around.

Throughout its history, knitting was a necessity. People need to dress themselves and their families warm and beautiful (not necessarily).

A brief historical overview of knitting is the following: the Egyptians knitted socks for sandals and skirts, the Vikings knitted Aran patterns on drawers, English artisans knitted stockings for Henry VII, the hungry Irish knitted items for Irish lace, grandmothers knitted socks for their grandchildren.

Despite rather numerous knitting guilds, there were few products and there were enough of them only for the Royal family and the aristocrats which were close to it.

Then knitting machines were invented and knit was produced on an industrial scale, but manual work didn't depreciate and it cost much more than machine products.

On a commercial level, only men knitted, and decent girls and ladies from decent families engaged in various types of needlework from a feeling of propriety, because they couldn't sit idle at the window, and the church didn't encourage reading and other sciences. Do you remember the tale about a sleeping beauty, why would a royal daughter spin? Women from poor families did needlework for the benefit of their family. Girls of all social classes could spin, weave, sew, embroider and knit. I think the theme of the works of women from wealthy circles, which didn't have a necessity to dress and warm their families, was quite respectable — religious themes or flowers, jackets for dogs.

Below are images of medieval women working.

In our century, knitting has become a hobby and a very expensive hobby. Keen knitters can quickly and accurately tell you how many cardigans from Benetton are equivalent to the cost of the material for one hand-knit sweater of vintage virgin wool of lamas, which were grazed by virgins on the Western slope of mount Fuji. There are yarns for every taste and budget. I will never forget a phrase the detective D. Dontsova said: "She came to get a job in ruined boots and hand-knit sweater". There is so much contempt in this sentence!!! No, my dear, those days are gone a long time ago, and now any knitter regularly catches envious glances of those who like brands when wearing their products (Yes! from the Western slope!). By the way, Dontsova is also a big fan of knitting.

Adherents of the hobby called knitting began to knit everything. Well, it's a hobby in the end. And I am honestly ready to join the indignant chorus of angry knitters. You wasted so much yarn (Ah! Ah! cluck-cluck!). How many warm hats and scarves could be knitted for starving children in Africa? I am totally against the waste of resources!

Knit still lifes that can serve as interior decoration (and how else can they be used???)

Can we really use this toilet?

The Europeans learned to look at such phenomena with a sense of humor: lift a finger up and cry: "The art!". We are such simpletons...

Are these shorts for summer or winter?

A gift to my beloved cat.

Very cute hats! And also practical: in a frosty January you can go round carol-signing and your cheeks won't freeze.

A goat and a gowl. Or a goat and an owl? No matter, the main thing is that it is fun!

Where did this monster come from?

The model is so google-eyed, maybe the hat is too heavy?

And of course, category 18+, we can't do without it. Just like without the tormenting question: why?

Cushions

A carnival costume?

Just a pretty erotic. I hope they are not voodoo dolls.

Nightmare on Knit street...

As scary as in a movie

The entire Internet is littered with such panties. Is this a sense of housewives' humor or decadent bourgeois art?

Just really cute.

I found a lot of photos for the section 18+, really a lot. And for the first time I thought hard about ethical considerations, so I shoudn't publish them all.

And finally, these cockroaches seem to be very nice.

I wish you good luck and inspiration!