Chatelain Brooches: 50 Examples — How and with What
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Recycling

Chatelain is known in France as an owner of a feudal castle, and in England — just a castellan, a steward, a business manager and a chief steward, and a new name of an object appeared. In practice, it has been known since ancient times as a substitute for pockets, handbags and man purses. Wikipedia says that chatelain is a jewelry and accessories on chain with a clip, which are attached to various functional items: keys, scissors, notepads, stamps and other small items. There was the fashion for chatelain perfume, chatelain clasps for coats, chatelain cufflinks, chatelain holders for skirts, in the 19th century it was fashionable to wear embroidered purses, fans and ball books on a chatelain. There was even a kind of chatelains called "Norwegian belt", people wore various things on it, and no wonder it was in tune with the "Chastity belt", it was also heavy and impractical, because you had to know measure in everything. Chatelain was in fashion not only among women but also among men — they wore it at watches, so a watch was in a pocket, and the chain — outside. In general, this idea worked out well, chatelain has exhausted all its practical possibilities, and in modern life it is just a decoration, it is adorable thanks to its originality. It is so much original that I am often asked how to wear it. "This way!" — I happily say today, presenting you this selection. Here are 50 examples of this unique brooch on a collar, on a shoulder, on chest, on neckline in front and in back, on waist, on coats and jackets, scarves, knitwear, silk, wool and batiste. Of course, I'd love to show you the best and most interesting samples of costume jewellery of the 20th century, but I can not put more than 50 pictures in a single post.

Thank you for reading, viewing and attention to the subject.

With love,

Elena (Fort Knox Vintage).

Sigh about the past:

Well, to smile like that. :)