How to Draw a Bright Wool Bullfinch on Felted Mittens

Today I will show you how to draw a bright bullfinch in the technique of dry felting. The pattern is very simple and suitable for beginners :)

You will need:

• a finished work for painting (gloves, a bag, a case, a panel, etc.);
  • red, gray, black, white carded cotton (wool cotton), it is better to take 2-3 colors — very little, 5 grams of each color;
  • needles for felting — I use a star, No. 36. It is convenient to felt large spaces with three needles at once;
  • a pad for felting — there are special mats for dry felting, but I use the materials at hand :) It is very convenient to use a thick foam polyethylene (it is dense, porous, easy to cut);
  • a water soluble marker.

So, let's start :) I paint on the mittens (it so happened that in my opinion they are a great field for work — practical and beautiful). As everything's simple, there will be a lot of photos and little text :)

First, we transfer our pattern to the template — cut all the major parts and trace them with a water soluble marker.

Then begin to fill the drawn contour with wool of the desired color. Try to apply wool evenly.

The breast is ready :) Continue to make the wings, the back and the tail.

Stuff the head:

The main image is ready, the final finish — make the outlines. To do this, tear off a small piece of black carded cotton, roll it into a thin rope and gently apply it on the edge of our bullfinch with a needle.

Add half-lights to the breast — take wool of a more bright color and make an accent on the belly and near the head.

Apply a triangle of grey wool and make a black contour to make a beak.

Add a half-light on the head — some grey wool.

I made a twig of a brown wool rope and the feet — black contour.

I always make the eye in the last turn — I can't poke with a needle a creature that looks at me :)

Roll a ball of white wool for the eye, apply it in place and make the pupil of a small black ball.

We are almost there — we examine the pattern and add (if needed) wool in the places where the template is still visible. Needle all the picture once again — make the pattern even and finish it.

Now gently turn the pattern on the wrong side — there is the same bullfinch :) Gently wash the wool, at the same time the marker from the front side is washed away.

Wash the mittens, dry them and steam off.