"Bell" Christmas Toy

I am pleased to offer you my new DIY. Let's make a Christmas toy — a bell. I'm sorry, but I can't determine the exact name of the technique, in which my Christmas toy is made. The theme is taken from Japanese patchwork, from the Kinyaga technique, but many people now call it Kimekomi (in my opinion, confusing terms). The materials: American cotton, and not silk patches, as expected, and additional decorative elements, which have absolutely nothing in common with patchwork. In fact, I offer a product that was made not by a book, but by instinct. To be honest, I will be glad to talk on the topic "if it is right to give your product the name of a particular technique, if in fact you use techniques from different directions". I invite you to discuss in comments! But I will not get distracted, so, to the point!

Take a foam bell. I will make details of crisp cotton, it is a bit thicker than domestic cotton, therefore, I recommend to take a high-quality billet. Draw our idea on paper — the theme. I have a village in winter where a girl sculpts a snowman. The houses are covered with snow, everything has the Christmas mood!

Our bell has a rounded and tapered shape, so the sketch on paper is for visual aid. In the classic version, if the base was flat, I would transfer the pattern on the base not to redraw it a few times. But we are not looking for easy ways, so draw our sketch directly on the workpiece.

After you are convinced that everything is in order and in its place, cut through all the lines with a utility knife approximately 3 mm.

Take all your fabric patches, I have them arranged in the boxes according to colors. I will only use scraps of pattern fabrics.

Begin to "paint" your bell from the girl. She is a central figure in my product, so take bright patches. For the handkerchief I took a red piece. Its size must be about 1 cm larger in diameter (or 0.5 from each side) than in the picture.

Smear white glue in a thin layer across the "painted" place. If you understand that there is a lot of glue, you can smudge it with a brush, but it is also very convenient to use a finger :)

Glue on a patch and tuck it with a thin metal tool (but not sharp), pressing a little the material into the slot around the contour in a circle.

Now cut off the excess with sharp scissors, leaving the edges of 2-3 mm.

Tuck all the edges inside. Foam is a soft material, that's why you get volume, which makes the product more beautiful.

Now we begin to malke all the details. I made this girl.

Then I make the snowman. Each ball is made of different patches. I do not leave the eyes and the hand without attention, this is one of the last stages.

Then I make the moon and the houses. Please note that all the parts are made of different patches. The material is chosen with a small pattern with not bright, but different shades in color.

Now proceed to "filling" the background. It is night on the toy, so I take a black cloth. I divide the upper part into 8 sectors.

And decorate it with fabric.

Now proceed to the bottom. The bell is hollow. You can put a clapper on a rope in a form of beads or even bells inside, but I am confused in this case with interior decoration. It is difficult to decorate naked foam in the inner part with fabric, so I just hid it. So, cut a circle at the bottom retreating a centimeter from the outside diameter of the bell. Cut, smear with glue. Now take a strip of black cloth. First, tuck it in a circle in the slot under the houses, and then tuck it into the slot on the bottom.

We get a beautifully decorated edge and a visual frame for our picture.

The upper part of the bell and the lower circle will be also made of one fabric type to achieve symmetry and harmony.

Then make a rope on which to hang our bell.

Tie a knot, melt the ends with a lighter, put a stud on it and attach two sides at the top of the bell.

What is a Christmas decoration without glitters? Take a contour for fabric with multicolor sequins. Imitate snow, applying glitters on the roof, the windows, the fence, around the rope on top and wherever you want. I applied them to almost all horizontal lines, but I did not touch the snow, the girl and the snowman. I drew the eyes and the hand of the snowman with a brown contour.

The first contour is cloudy, so do not be afraid. When it dries, only the glitters will be visible.

We have made a Christmas toy.

You can make a set of such toys.

As the story goes in a circle, there is no need to be afraid that the toy will hang on a tree with the wrong side. It does not break and is very light. The ability to use different pieces allows you to get the bell in any color.

I wish you success, welcome to discussion. Share your opinion and ask questions.

If the you liked this DIY, share what you have seen in other social networks, citing a source. Don't forget to click on the "Like" button and add my shop to your circle. Be aware of my new DIYs and new works!

Sincerely yours, Maria.
"From scraps" workshop.