Handmade "Big Trip" Christmas Ball in Kimekomi Technique

All our life is a journey!
New year is always a new page in life. After all, we vowed to start a new life from the 2st of January so many times :)
The ancient Chinese believed that if you make a wish and release it into the sky, then it will surely reach the heavens and will come true. You can send your wish in different ways: through the fire of candles or fragrance (whisper your dream above the smoke, the smoke will quickly rise to the sky and will deliver your request), through a Chinese lantern (ignite a wick and a paper lantern of the finest paper will fly high), there is a huge number of variations!
And today we'll make a magical airship, put a little note with dreams in it and send it on a journey on a fur tree, higher from the ground.
So, take a foam ball. I have a ball with a diameter of 10 cm (you can buy it in a hobby shop or cut from the packaging placed in the box with appliances).

Take a marker and draw the pattern — lines. Are you afraid of difficulties? Just divide the ball into 4-8 parts.

If you are a beginner, but also a very brave artisan, add lines and patterns. I've done this.

Now take a very sharp stationary knife or a razor blade and make slits on all our lines to a depth of approximately 1 cm. Just do not take a blunt kitchen knife, it will crush the foam.

Now we need to decorate the ball with fabric. You will need small pieces, 6-8 cm, it not necessarily to buy them if you do not work with fabric. You can take handkerchiefs, a dress which you don't like or jeans that have become too small. I take the pieces, apply them to a sector, tuck them with an iron stick on the contour (you can take a stick from a manicure set, knitting needle, use the tip of a blunt knife), cut the excess around, leaving 3-4 mm for seam allowance and tuck the fabric completely into the slot.
Apply and push:

Cut with allowances of 3-4 mm.

Tuck completely.

Continue to fill all the sectors.

Until you tuck in all the fabric.

Now take satin or grosgrain ribbon, cord, braid, twine, thread, beads or thick yarn for knitting and pinning them wrap our ball.

At the bottom leave the tails with a length about 10-15 centimeters, we will fix to them the basket of the airship.

Now make a basket for our air balloon. You can glue a box out of cardboard, find at home a little junk box, I just cut a piece of cardboard tube from the foil (by the way, you can take a tube from toilet paper) and wrapped it with tape.

Attach our basket to the balloon. For convenience, I temporarily wrapped it with an office rubber band and glued our ribbons-tails. Hide the tails inside the basket, glue them, cut off excess.

Make a loop of ribbon (thread, staple, rope, twine, well, you understand that it is possible to use literally everything that you have in the bins), we will hang on it our ball and attach a drop of glue or sew it on with thread or pin it.

We now proceed to an optional but enjoyable part of the decor.
Decorate your ball by your choice! Sew on seed beads or beads, draw something with paints or contours, glue buttons or pendants, make decoupage or write something with markers on it, in a word, create!
I added some rhinestones and used pins and seed beads to decorate the connection lines of the fabric.

It remains to write a wish on a small piece of paper, roll it or wrap in a piece of wrapping paper and put in the basket of the airship. You can put a candy under the wrapper.

That's all! Hang it on a Christmas tree or a chandelier (remember about higher-higher to the sky) and let a Big trip to New year and a New Happy Life begin immediately!

Create harmony and happiness!