Folk Fashion. Part I

Folk clothes are not just a phenomenon of material culture, but also of spiritual culture associated with beliefs and idealistic views of people. You need to know how to read traditional clothes, they can tell us many things about the area of residence, cultural development and interaction with other ethnic groups, about the mentality of nation, the poetics of rebellion lyrics and spirituality of nation. Each nation has its own easily distinguishable style, but, in contrast to the author's design, ethnic outfits are embodiment of collective national identity, because the main couturier here is people.

Ethnic style in clothing never loses its relevance. Modern ethnic style aims to preserve ancient culture and the worldview of our ancestors, to highlight our national identity. This style is chosen by free willed people, not limited to modern complexes and developments with a sustainable connection with their roots.

However, despite the relevance and abundance of designers of different levels working in this direction, we do not often meet people wearing clothes in ethno style in everyday life. There are many reasons for that, ranging from the fact that in our country few people produce it for mass market, to unsuitability of the designs for everyday wear. But I would like to devote this article not to high fashion, which lives only on catwalks and social events, but to the fashion which is made by people for people :)

Russian style

For me it is very strange, when Russian style is associated with Khokhloma ornaments, Gzhel, shawls from Pavlov Posad and matryoshkas. Let's not forget that Gzhel is ceramics, Khokhloma is a style of painting on utensils and furniture, matryoshkas are toys, and though shawls are a piece of clothing, but when there are entire costumes made of them it is too much for my eyes.

For me truly Russian style, and indeed ethnic style, is the one that is based on reliable knowledge about folk clothes, free from stereotypes and reflecting the true tastes of our ancestors. And now I will show examples of my favorite designers, fashion designers and online stores that, in my opinion, actually correspond to a high-profile title — Russian style.

I'll start with an online shop of curiosities where you can find real museum rarities, inscribed in modern looks.

A zaveska (a sort of apron) is on the left. Rukava — on the right. XIX century.

A poneva. Voronezh province. XIX century.

A kokhta. Voronezh province. XIX century.

A dushegreya.

A plakhta (Western Ukraine) — on the left. A vest — on the right. Voronezh province. XIX century.

Objet — a store with Russian clothes.

A shop of designer clothing in Russian style. Here you can find Voronezh vests, Arkhangelsk and Vologda sundresses, sleeveless blouses and other folk clothes, adapted to the present.

Dushegreya.

Jackets and shirts based on Russian fairy dushegreykas.

The fashion house of Nikolay Teruhin.

Czarevna — clothes and accessories by Elena Bogatenkova.

Elena embroiders bags and for the base she uses traditional Russian patterns and ornaments.

VARVARA — the folk fashion brand by Varvara Zenina.

A shushpan. Modern interpretation.

A dress based on an old Russian women's shirt.

Men's shirt with a straight or slanted collar.

Arkhangelsk sweaters.

Russian cut — a brand of men's shirts, which sews kosovorotkas and uses traditional cut of a straight armhole with a gusset.

Well, I reached the limit of photos in this publication, wait for the next one :)