The Process of Creating a Leather Wallet

Greetings to all artisans and amateurs, let's look at "how it's made"
Today I will show you how I make a wallet in photos for the second time.
I admit, personally I'm not happy to copy other people's products, but I was asked to do that many times. Dreams and work on creating my own collection are a little postponed, I must earn money for bread and expensive leather now :)

But first, a small lyrical digression. Those who look for DIYs not only on the Livemaster know that I publish my DIYs on another platform, where I also write about my thoughts, I think it is not very appropriate to do that here.
But nevertheless, I will write a little here. It's been more than a year, when I took up a hobby — sewing of leather. I tried and learned many things, wrote articles and DIYs, without selling my items. There is still a lot of materials for learning, I have to work on my style and quality. But I believe that it is time to sell my works and make money with my hobby, I wish that to all artisans who are just beginning their journey. Soon I will post my products and I have enough materials for interesting DIYs. Thank you for reading what I write for you and especially thanks to those who not only read, but actually implement my ideas!

1. Preparation.
I scraped from the bottom of the barrel with leather, showed materials to the client. Red crust semi-gloss finished leather was approved. Crust leather is wonderful, almost like expensive Italian buttero, I soaked it with oil, it is just sweet.
Then we pick the color of the sides and thread.

I warn those who are faint-hearted that I am not a photographer and took photos with a smartphone. But at the end of the post there are photos taken with a reflex camera, which are more beautiful :)

I used to make it with threads and stitching as shown in the left at the bottom :) By the way, it is easier to make stitching with this (punching stepping) punch, there are also less calculations, but it looks worse, in my opinion, especially on small, non-brutal products.

2. The process of making a wallet.
Figure out the dimensions and mark them up on leather, I stopped catching microns and began to cut parts with allowances, yes, it is no good for economy, but for the benefit of mental health.

Well, since small experiments on the used materials (paints, finishes, seams, plates etc.) are required anyway, then the scraps are also used and I do not worry a lot if there is waste. So, I calmed myself, let's go ahead :)
I will show the dimensions without my scrawls in a notebook:

• the thickness of the leather — 1.3-1.5 mm;
  • two squares with a size of 80x80mm;
  • one rectangle with a size of 230х80мм;
  • the step of a punch is 3.85 mm;
  • 0.65 mm thick and 120 cm long thread;
  • German stud, 12 mm;
  • oil, waxes and paint for edges.

*keep in mind that you need to take into account the thickness of the leather and to reduce or increase the original dimensions.

Since I make it the second time, I immediately make a template of cardboard, in order not to lose anything anymore and to save time. Although personally I would change the design, but I will tell you about that later.

We made a template and marked our cut parts, now we will continue to punch and remove the old sharp edges with an edge beveler.

I do not touch the edges, because they will be glued. In the meantime, we will set a back part of the stud.

Next, take tokonole and cover the flesh to make the cards slip easier. (After drying the color will be almost as it was before covering :)

I use latex glue, we need to wait till it becomes transparent and then glue.

After gluing round the corners, life will be easier when you start to use the coins as intended — to buy tools :)

Then mark and make holes with a punch (3,85). Ignore sloppy edges, first, it's not a finished product, and second, we will process them.

Then stitch (I will not describe this uninteresting process).
Then bring the edges to a decent condition and color. This process is long and tedious, I did not even bother to take a picture.
Put the plates of our greatest intergalactic craft leather workshop and exchange money with the customer :) That's all, profit :)

3. Photos of the finished product and a few words about the design.
First, I will show what I made, hope you will enjoy it as much as the manufacturing process :)

At first glance, cards are placed very dangerous. But the first client has used such a wallet for a year and all cards are safe. Curiously enough, but it is convenient to put in/out bills, and due to the fact that they are "bent" they do not fly away of the wallet.
I see an improvement here: the pockets for cards can be sewn in a a cascade and I can also slightly increase the length. But it will increase leather consumption, and therefore the price, but it will be according Feng Shui and the God of cowhide and Italian chemicals will be favorable to its owner the next 10 years :)

Thanks to those who read my DIY. In the next post there will be a make-up pouch and a closed cardholder. See you next time!