Learn the Art of Quilting. A Delicate "Twinkle" Quilt

1. Make a sketch on graph paper, add 7-10% for shrinkage after quilting.

The most important thing is that the proportions must be real, the size of the border coincides with the border width of real fabric.

2. Transfer the sketch to the actual size of graph paper, do not put the final border to the sketch. The empty diagonal stripe is a border.

3. Choose fabrics. In this case, it's a set of Japanese cotton and the following fabric: 45% cotton, 55% silk. This is also a fabric for patchwork, but it is recommended for large quilted spaces.

4. Put roll paper for freezing on the sketch with real sizes and transfer the scalloped edge. As this sketch is for a quarter, fold the paper for freezing in half.

5. Attach paper for freezing using the iron to the reverse side of the scalloped edge, we'll have 3 kinds of it. Iron out the edges as pictured, cut if needed to better lay the fabric.

6. Iron out the main fabric vertically and horizontally, fold 4 times and considering perpendicularity cut the part of the desired size.

7. The centre is marked with pressed lines. Pin to the edge. I also stitched, though it is longer, but this process certainly makes sewing easier.

8. Sew with the thread matching the color of the application. The stitches must have a length of 1-2 mm with an interval of 1-2 mm, use needles for appliques.

9. Once the scalloped detail is sewn, define the location of the border.

10. Sew on the second scalloped detail. Cut the excess of silk on the reverse side, as shown in the photo.

11. The central part. Connect the border detail with the scalloped part as shown in the photo below. Do not detach the paper for freezing, just stitch near it.

Cut immediately after stitching at a 45 degree angle.

4 parts must be laid like this.

Attach as a normal border.

Press the seams open.

*** The allowance for the hem (pre-pressed) looks like this from the straight side.

12. Transfer the design pattern from the graph paper on the base silk fabric, use a light box and a water-soluble marker. Put the central motif according to the marks made with the water-soluble marker.

13. Tack on the detail.

The corners will look like this, precisely cut away the excess.

After everything is sewn, carefully cut away the excess fabric from the inside.

14. In the end, everything is ready for stitching. Make a sandwich, in this work I used a 100% wool filler, it is very pleasant to work with. The blanket is light, pliable and warm. But it takes a long time to dry it, while drying there is a smell of wool :) Start quilting from the center proportionally to the edges, do not make limits with seams, or you will have tucks and so on.

Pearl color in this photo simply fascinates me.

15. I dry my works on the floor this way. Then make the hemming, stitch on the hem with hands.

I like this wet texture.

The most difficult thing in such projects is to control the proportions of the ornament, and it is worth paying attention to.

And a photo of the finished work.

I wish you all inspiration :)