How Lace Got under My Skin

Like a bolt from the blue I suddenly fell in love with... lace!

Dear friends, have you ever heard about how real French lace is made? I was never familiar with this topic and I rarely visited textile stores. Especially the stores with lace. I always thought that I am not interested in it. There is even more — I didn't think lace could be SO interesting!

Well, what did I know about lace? It is a woven fabric with various patterns. I almost did not pay attention to lace clothes, and I didn't welcome such "frills" in my wardrobe. What can I say, motorcycles and dust of the roads — at that time I was not in the mood for exquisite outfits :)

But our life is full of surprises, and that's good! It is very challenging and useful to open new opportunities. Not long ago I ran into French lace and quite unexpectedly, it just dazzled me :) I can not find other words! For me, a little magic door opened and behind it there was a whole hidden world.

I learned that lace holds a lot of amazing things. It turned out that "openwork fabric" is SO different that finding out about this material is like going down the deep rabbit hole :) But every new turn hides so much inspiration!

First, I learned the difference between high and "normal" lace and all the other types of lace. It's just totally different cut and allows to execute such operations, which you never dreamed of. For example, French lace can be cut in any direction without processing the edges!

At the same time, I was really shocked by the story of the creation of the family lace factory. This story is so unique and even intimate that it can not but touch the soul. When you learn about how people devoted themselves to creating unique patterns, caring so much about the quality, you feel how special this lace is. Since 1887 several generations have been diligently improving the unique technology, and still nobody in the world can surpass this production in quality or complexity.

The Sophie Hallette factory in the province of Caudry (France).

This factory is called Sophie Hallette after the name of its founder Eugène Hallette. Have you heard of it? This is the legendary lace and to this day it remains a benchmark of quality. I would like to share with you just a few facts about this lace:

• Unique Levers machines which produce lace today have been there since 1887. They are the world's first programmable mechanical machines that simulate hand-weaving. It requires at least five years to learn how to make lace on this machine. Factory workers managed to improve production using modern developments while preserving the old technology.

• The lace has hinge joints — it's just incredible! Each cell (even the smallest cell!) joins with another by 8-12 knots, allowing you to cut the lace anywhere and in any direction! Open, raw edges of your neckline or on the sleeves is a sign of French lace of the highest quality.

• The most eminent fashion houses do not manage without the Sophie Hallette lace in their collections. It conquered the hearts of designers of the world once and for all, and it rightly took its place on world podiums. Prada and Valentino, Dolce & Gabbana and Dior — Haute Couture outfits have models with Sophie Hallette lace! And, of course, the brand of sexy lingerie so beloved by men and girls — Agent Provocateur — also uses French lace by Sophie Hallette.

Lace in the collection of GUCCI

Cord lace in the collection of DOLCE & GABBANA

Chantilly lace in the collection of AGENT PROVOCATEUR

• The largest selection of colors, patterns and ways of weaving is an achievement of more than 150 years of the work of the factory. Different width — very narrow and the most wide — lace ribbons just strike with their variety. This lace can conquer your heart once and for all!

So happened to me. I really imbued with this spirit of beauty and refined luxury. Although it would seem like I was far from that :) Now, when I met this unique lace, I have something to tell you. This is my first article and my story turned out to be introductory and even personal :) But I guess it's for the best... I want to continue and share with you very interesting details. For example, a great story of how lace decorated the wedding dress of the Duchess of Cambridge. And how the creators of the lace didn't recognize it in the finished dress! :)

Kate Middleton in the lace gown with Sophie Hallette lace

Dear friends, it turns out that lace is fun! I'll be glad if I can manage to send you a part of amazing and useful facts about it, thus inspiring you on creation of unique outfits from materials with centuries of history!