How to Make Patterns for a Bag

Let's make patterns for a bag.

First you need to determine the shape and the size of the future bag.

Finished?

Then begin to create the form.

I used extruded foam.

Saw off pieces of the desired size. I have a foam with a width of 3 cm, and the width of my bag is 6 cm. So I glued the foam.

Oops. Superglue almost melted my future bag. And then I remembered about double-sided tape.

Glue the pieces of foam together. If you are satisfied with its thickness then you don't have to do that. Take large-grained sandpaper. Polish all imperfections and flaws.

Check the geometry and the dimensions one more time.

Ready? Proceed to the next stage.

Making the pattern.

Take masking tape and carefully apply it on the blank without crinkles and slants.

Next draw all the planned seams. Keep in mind, you will have to sew them. So first think over the pattern cutting.

Take a sharp knife and cut the lines of the seams. Do not make too much efforts, but cut through the masking tape.

Detach the pattern from the blank. Do it gently, so as not to stretch and crumple it.

You should get something like this:

To be more confident, I glued the pattern to the base for laminated flooring.

Baste the pattern. That's all! The bag is ready :)

Joking. Now the most crucial moment.

Making the templates.

For templates I used what was close at hand. Fiberboard.

Transfer all dimensions from the pattern adjusting the measurements, symmetry and angles (the size of the pattern will anyway differ).

IMPORTANT! Make the seam allowances. They depend on how far the seam is from the edge.

Take the saw and saw off the templates. Of course, you can draw the templates in a graphic editor and cut them on a laser CNC. But I first do it this way, and if I like the model, I cut it from acrylic.

Make all the details of the bag this way.

Transfer the templates to leather, sew them, process and understand that it is really HandMade from start to final.