The Process of Making a Moth of Polymer Clay

Today I propose to make a small and spectacular decoration. This DIY is designed for a minimum of basic knowledge of polymer clay and its properties, as well as some experience in modeling.

I love to make moths, the whole process seems to be shrouded with magic :)

So, let's begin ...

We will need:

1. A sketch.
  2. Bake polymer clay in light color.
  3. Liquid plastic (gel).
  4. Surface for baking.
  5. Needles.
  6. Thin stacks.
  7. A knife or a blade.
  8. A textured rug.
  9. Dry pastels.
  10. Acrylic black paint.
  11. Protective lacquer.
  12. A small piece of fishing line (for horns).
  13. Hardware (for a pendant).

I made a small sketch in advance, then redrew the image of the moth on tracing paper. It is very convenient to transfer the pattern from tracing paper on "raw" clay.

I will use "Fimo" white polymer clay to make a moth.

Mash the clay well and roll out into a layer of 4-5 mm, the "pattern" of the moth should be fully fit.

I have another blank with a more accurate drawing of wings made with a pencil, gently apply it on the cut moth, lightly press to transfer the pattern, and we get marked wings.

I adjusted the basic shape, now you can take a sharp knife and gradually give shape to the wings, cutting off all unnecessary.

After the moth is ready, I smoothened all the bumps with a flat stack and wiped it with a damp cloth, it cleaned all the dust and fibre.

And now my favorite process begins — texturing the wings. We will need needles of different thickness, it is desirable to blunt them a little with sandpaper. I made handles of the clay remains for my needles but they are just common needles (for hand sewing).

Scrape the main lines, then fill the space between veins. Texture the whole moth this way. This process is not fast, sometimes it takes a few hours, but for me it is like meditation, I turn on my favorite music and fall in a kind of creative trance)) By the way, I made this moth listening to wonderful songs of the "Troll Bends Fir" band, their positive music literally energizes)))

When finished, proceed to tinting with dry pastel. Using brushes of different thickness give the moth color, start from the edge and gradually shade pastels to the center of the wing, you must get a smooth transition of color. Tinting is finished and the workpiece can be sent to baking according to the instructions on the package.

When the moth is cooled pick up the mount for a pendant. You can use a simple pin with a loop, but I prefer steel rings. Roll into a layer of 2-3 mm a small piece of gray clay, make texture. The entire underside of the moth is covered with Fimo-gel (liquid plastic), gently apply the clay with a texture, cut away all the excess with a sharp knife and smoothen the edges. You can "powder" it with pastel.

Put the moth into the oven.

We are almost there :)

I additionally cover the tinted piece with black acrylic paint to make the moth brighter.

Dip a cotton swab into solvent (liquid for removing nail lacquer) and slightly erase the paint only from the veins of the wings to highlight them, I covered them with silver acrylic.

Do not leave the back part without attention, the technique is very simple and familiar to nearly all artisans, paint it with black color, after drying wash the excess paint from all bulk parts of the ornament. There is one small nuance — the horns. I made them of thin fishing line, the tip of the line should be a little melted, with a droplet, the horns look more natural like that.

That's all! Cover the entire moth with lacquer, add hardware and put it on!

This way you can make a brooch or put the moth in a bracelet. If you make a lot of moths, it is possible to decorate any interior composition, a wall clock or a vase with them. Everything is limited only by your imagination!

Thank you for your attention!

Do not forget to click the "Like" button, if you really liked this DIY :)

Questions are strongly welcome!