The Slavic Princess Ulyana Sergeenko
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Sewing

There is no limit to human fantasy. Artists paint the world with rainbow colors, because they see it through their souls. It is always interesting to look at something new and unusual.

For me, the works of Ulyana Sergeenko have became recently this something new. Her ideas and findings become a source of inspiration.

The Slavic Princess, the Russian Doll, the Russian Lady — all these titles belong to the same woman who conquered the catwalks with a talented unconventional approach to fashion. This is the designer Ulyana Sergeenko.

Her name became popular not so long ago — the shows started in 2011, and then she made a personal brand.

What is the uniqueness of the Ulyana Sergeenko's style? What is its feature that even the brightest ladies of this age choose outfits by Ulyana Sergeenko as the base for their looks?

Today I want to share with you the collected information and to show a small part of the designer's works, which is very close to me by style and mood.

Ulyana Sergeenko initially became popular thanks to her outfits, which very often include traditional Russian motives.

Natalia Vodianova in a dress by Ulyana Sergeenko, photographer — Paolo Roversi.

Ulyana was born in Kazakhstan, she studied at school with advanced study of English, she was a smart and talented girl. The only thing noted by her classmates and parents is her early commitment to her own style. At school she wore a short skirt, nylon tights and flowing hair.

The transition from the ordinary world into a Universe of Fashion took place in 2008, when she became the wife of the billionaire Daniel Khachaturov and began to implement her own style in casual and formal outfits.

She has her own and unique "a La Russe" style, which is composed of the fashion of the early 20th century, the retro of the Stalin-era and a certain amount of eroticism.

In 2011 the first collection by Ulyana Sergeenko was shown, it opened for her the door into the world of high fashion. Ulyana Sergeenko has managed to create a truly Russian collection of clothes, avoiding overacting and vulgarity.

I present only a few works from this collection. But believe me, they are all wonderful!

Ulyana called these outfits the "illustration of Soviet Vogue of the 1950s", they are fully consistent with her own style.

If you look at the photos showing the Ulyana Sergeenko's dresses, it is evident that the emphasis is made on brightly-marked retro. Muted colors, peaceful images, some minimalism in the cut.

The development of her brand was rapid, and soon the name of the brand, its specificity, and luxurious shows, and the Ulyana Sergeenko's shop were on everyone's lips.

Since 2011, the Ulyana Sergeenko's collections has followed one another. And although each of them has its own theme and individual style, the series have much in common.

Spring-summer 2012. The second collection intersects with the ideas of the French fashion and the Brigitte Bardot's style. The series is characterised by the combination of Soviet rigor, feminine sexuality and Parisian charm. Ethnic elements, impeccable fit, intricate details were dear to the taste of the first Russian celebrities and then to the foreign celebrities.

It was 2012. Ulyana Sergeenko Haute Couture. Fashion week in Paris. All the talent of the designer was embodied in that show.

The catwalk determined the global popularity of the brand and attracted the attention of the most stylish women in the world.

Spring-summer 2013. Ulyana Sergeenko Haute Couture. The collection with a brightly implemented theme. The outfits were inspired by American adventure books — "Gone with the Wind", "Tom Sawyer" and others. For the first time Ulyana Sergeenko's outfits did not reflect the traditional Russian style, and changed a continent and a time period.

Spring-summer 2014. Ulyana Sergeenko Haute Couture. Paris. The collection struck everybody with the level of complexity, a large number of hand-made items and unique feminine images.

Spring-summer 2015. This time the designer was inspired by the Caucasus. This series is characterised by refined elegance of the images, the tenderness and the chastity of the outfits.

Natalya Vodyanova, Ksenia Sobchak, Polina Kitsenko — they all had worn dresses by Ulyana before the brand gained huge global popularity. After a series of shows other celebrities became interested in the designer. After viewing the collections, Lady Gaga, Anna Dello Russo, Madonna, Princess of Bahrain, and many others wished to buy Ulyana Sergeenko's dresses.

The chief editor of the French edition of L'Officiel compared Ulyana with the style icon Daphne Guinness, calling the Russian woman gentle and romantic.

The Ulyana Sergeenko fashion house holds many shows in Paris, but the fashion show at the Fashion Week on July 6, 2015 could be called the first.

The organizers of the Fashion Week has given the Russian designer the official status of the participant.

Immediately after the opening of the Week the "Communal apartment" presented buy the Russian designer became the most discussed collection. Ulyana Sergeenko made a splash, showing luxurious outfits, which were inspired by the atmosphere of the Soviet communal apartment. The designer used the Vologda and Yelets lace and hand-woven fabric. Lace artists created new intricate designs and motifs on them.

The "Russian Gothic" collection, autumn-winter 2013-2014.

The "Aristocracy" collection, spring-summer 2016.

"Now we are in love with our Russian lace from Vologda and Yelets. You will not find this lace anywhere else. It is Russian traditions. Fashion trends are capricious and fleeting. But there are things that exist beyond time and fashion. Lace is considered to be a luxury symbol of femininity," said the designer.

"Ulyana's outfits always have souvenirs from our childhood, life, culture, history," said the model Natalia Vodianova.

"She makes a woman charming, though her outfits are always very simple, with clean lines. Even when she creates a dress of a dense material, there is still a sense that this is an outfit for a little princess," said the actress Ornella Mutti.

It is not surprising that many Russian ladies wear the outfits by Ulyana. They say that the best model for collections is Ulyana herself.

It is really so! Her refined femininity, great taste, restrained haughtiness suit the style that she creates. It is also an example to follow!

Ulyana says: "I was not looking for my own style, it has always been like this since my childhood. The idol of my life is my grandma. So I look like her: a long skirt, shoes, a leather handbag, a demure top, but I don't always dress like this, I can be seen in everything. It depends on my mood and its sources. Some images are born after watching a movie or reading a book. But they are all from the past."

In August Vologda hosted the III international festival "VITA LACE". The festival program was very rich — exhibitions, presentations, workshops and exchange of experience.

At this festival the "Lace accents" collection of dresses by Ulyana Sergeenko was presented.

The collection consisted of seven outfits from the shows of 2013-2016: "Communal apartment", "Russian Gothic", "Aristocracy".

In this photo Ulyana Sergeenko shows a dress from the "Communal apartment" collection, which is decorated with a "Squirrel" lace panel.

In the photo — the Vologda and Yelets lace in the collections by Ulyana Sergeenko.

The idea of the designer was implemented by the very talented Vologda artist and lacemaker I. I. Zubareva, who creates her own unique style. Thanks to Irina I learned about Ulyana Sergeenko.

By the example of the shown products one can understand that the designer Ulyana Sergeenko knows how to convey her artistic images to the lace artist, which creates innovative shapes of lace organically connected with the fabric and style.

I could talk about Ulyana as a talented photographer, a designer, a model and just a beautiful woman for a long time.

If you are interested in this topic, you can always learn more by yourself. Her creativity and style are a space for inspiration and ideas. Good luck to all in your creative career.

Thank you for reading to the end.

Your Tatyan