Colored Pencils as an Instrument of High Art. Nuances of Drawing with Art Pencils

Many people think that colored pencils are a tool for children's creative activities. In this and subsequent publications I want to dispel this myth. We will focus on professional art pencils which can create real masterpieces in the hands of an artist.

First, I propose to find out how art pencils differ from ordinary pencils.
But the difference lies in the materials a pencil is made of. Attention! We do not consider pastel and watercolor pencils.

• Art pencils are of better quality, they have strong pigmentation. In the production of professional colored pencils a wax or an oil base is used. Plus, there are natural pigments that provide good lightfastness. The drawings permanently retain the brightness.
  • Art pencils are not hard, so you can achieve color saturation and a smooth transition from one color to another.
  • It is easy to make glaze with art pencils.
  • An important factor is the type of wood for pencils. As a rule, professional pencils are made of cedar. And ordinary pencils are made of linden and pine.

The joy of drawing with pencils is first of all in their lightness and maneuverability. It is much easier to control them in comparison with paint, especially if we're talking about sketches and drafts. I've come to drawing with colored pencils, because I draw when my son is asleep in the afternoon. There is not enough time for "normal drawing" with paints, palettes, etc. no. In addition, they are very handy when drawing outdoors — you just take them and draw on your knees.

And now the features:

1) Any picture, just as with the paints, starts with a sketch made with a lead pencil.

2) If you make a mistake, it is hard to correct the drawing, since the eraser do not "clean" the drawings made with pencils.

3) It is desirable to master hatching, stretching and other types of texturing. If interested, write in comments, I will write separately about each type of hatching.

4) Choose the appropriate paper.

As for the paper, it is different, it is cool and colorful. But let's find out which one is the most suitable for drawing with colored pencils.
I must say that paper for sketches is not really suitable. It is fine. But only for those who are going to draw in two or more layers. It is not a problem to draw an easy sketch on it.
Watercolor paper with a very pronounced texture is not suitable. When making hatches, there will be white spots. But if this is your idea, then it's not a problem. There are no absolute rules in art.

The most suitable paper is the paper with a density of not less than 200 gr.

• paper for sketching
  • paper for drawing (see density)
  • paper for pastels of different toning.

Drawing techniques with colored pencils are types of hatching. I want to make it clear that in all techniques the pressure is of high importance. It creates a particular effect. The pressure can be light, moderate and strong.

1) Straight-line hatching.
Draw the lines with the same pressure at a certain angle parallel to each other and tight enough.

2) Cross-hatching.
The combination of two straight-line hatchings, laid in two layers at different angles.

3) Shading (smooth hatching).
Hatching with the side of the pencil.

4) Stretching from light to dark and vice versa.
Practise the pressure from the lightest to the strongest. Be careful, don't break the pencil :)

5) Changing of color.
This is blending of colors on paper. It is important to know the rules of color mixing. For example, draw a red layer, then a blue and we get purple. You can play with shades for a long time.

6) Infusion of one color into another.
Gradual transition from one color to another. It's like a color gradient.

Here are the main criteria and characteristics of colored pencils. I hope you have learned something new or even changed your mind about this tool of fine arts.

All the images are given as an example and taken from the Internet.