How to Make a Box for Handicraft

What do we need boxes for? For ribbons, balls, beads, threads, etc.

Dear artisans, how many storage boxes do you have? Probably enough, but an elegant box will never hurt. And what if you make it with your own hands and give it to somebody as a gift with all of your heart? What do you think?

There were complaints in the previous DIYs that the design is too complex to repeat, well, I considered the comments received and this box is quite simple in production.

For the work we will need:

- binder cardboard 2.2 mm thick, binder cardboard 0.9 mm;

- watercolor paper, craft paper;

- padding polyester;

- gel superglue, white glue;

- cotton gabardine;

- decorative cord;

- a knife, scissors, an awl, a needle, thread, an iron.

Let's start:

I do not mention the sizes, they will depend on the width of the cardboard that you will find.

First, I cut two rectangles and round them from one side of the edge, it will be the basis for the bottom and the lid, and then cut two strips, one wider, the other one narrower, the narrow one will be the lid of the box, and the wider strip will be the bottom of the box. The top and the bottom of the blanks should be of the same size!

To find out the length of the side strips, I take a tape measure and find out the size of the three sides of the base. Here is a photo of what to measure.

I cut strips of craft paper and fold them in half and scope the edges, I made about 10 pieces in length of 30 cm.

Now I need an iron with steam, I heat it to the maximum temperature and begin to iron the middle of the strips, steaming them. The cardboard start to bend smoothly without breaks or cracks. I let it to dry after ironing.

Now you can see which sides need to be measured.

With the help of craft strips I glue the base of the box.

Then I glue strips of padding polyester with white glue to add volume and nice softness to the box.

I apply the glue only to the cardboard, there is no glue on the polyester! Do not pull the fabric tightly, just bend it and glue to the cardboard.

For the bottom of the box I took the gabardine, it looks nice, but it is difficult to glue, even with a gel superglue, so if you have no cartonnage experience, take a cotton or linen fabric, there will be no problems with them.

The top of the lid will be decorated with a three-dimensional applique, it can be used as a pincushion.

I cut a blank for the lid from watercolour paper, then I cut a rhombus in it using it as a template. I cut the padding polyester in four folds, apply white glue to it, then glue the cut gabardine on the board, not on the padding polyester.

I cover the top blank with fabric and glue it to the lid, I make holes with an awl at the corners of a rhombus and stitch the edge. Thus, the top decorating blank is securely fixed and the pincushion gains volume :)

To open the lid, I decided to make a tassel. I had a piece of fringe, it turned out to be very useful, I put superglue on it and glued a twisted cord. When it dried, I additionally made a few stitches so that it wouldn't pull off in the process. I pierced a hole with an awl, used a crochet hook to drag it inside, divided the twisted cord into two parts and glued it to the base of the lid.

Set aside the lid, let it dry, meanwhile, we will make the bottom of the box. Cut strips 1 cm shorter and 1 cm wider than the base of the box from binder cardboard with a thickness of 0.9 mm. Cover them with fabric (the fabric on the upper rim should go in the opposite direction with allowances) and glue them to the inside of the box, stick to the sequence of glueing, it is important not to forget about the limiting tape, it should be between the outer and the inner wall. Carefully press the inner part and wait for the glue to grip.

Then cut the bottom of the lid and the bottom of the box of watercolor paper, I also cover them with fabric, the workpieces are slightly uneven now, but it shoudn't scare you, if you glue them to the base, everything will be smooth.

Inside, on the lid of the box, I decided to make a decorative pocket, I cut a 1 cm wide strip of cardboard, covered it with fabric and glued to the base of the lid, do not forget about the limiting tape!

Then I took two pieces of thin cardboard and glued the front part of the pocket and inserted it into the lid, after applying glue on the edges.

Joints are decorated with twisted cord, it is beautiful :)

Close the lid of the box, put out the tail from the inside from the inner part of decoration and glue it to the top of the lid, it will be an additional latch, I like to play safe, to give additional strength to the product.

Then cut two blanks for the back of the box from thin cardboard (the size is measured by the outer edges of the rear parts), glue them to the fabric with a two-millimeter spacing from each other, additionally glue a narrow strip of fabric to the top and the fold will be securely opened and closed.

Glue the back and immediately open it to check how it works. Everything's fine!

Now we have to decorate the cord, all the joints (use gel superglue) and the box is ready!

I glued a satin ribbon so that the lid slips well on the interior.

For the second box I used linen and calico, I made it much faster as it glued much easier.

In this box the pincushion is inside!

Thank you in advance for your attention and I will be glad if you share your experience!

If you liked this DIY, please, don't forget to like it .

With deep respect, Julia!