Watercolors by Marzio Tamer — the Synthesis of Nature and Art

Paintings of Marzio Tamer surprise and delight not only for his virtuosic technique and accurate reproduction of details, but for an unusual silence — his animals are like in a certain conditional space. His quiet sceneries take the viewer to a world where nature is frozen in a timeless dimension.

The artist was born in the Italian town of Schio, now he lives and works in Milan. His virtuosity is the result of years of exercises with materials such as watercolor and egg tempera.

Marzio strangely combines the classics with novelty in his work . The essence of the classical approach is in the selection of materials — egg tempera and watercolor — and in the selection of image objects, and novelty is in an unusual vision of these objects, this vision reflects a rather mysterious identity of the author. The artist does not even have his own website (at least I couldn't find him) — he has been represented by the Salamon''s gallery in Milan from the beginning of his activity.
He draws his watercolors with a very fine brush with almost no water, the brushes are almost dry. His favorite subjects are landscapes, animals and simple still lifes.

As the artist says, the process of working on the painting consists of two parts — first, a long observation and only then transferring the information to the canvas or paper. As a result the images are even more realistic than the reality itself. He draws his landscapes in his studio and they are figments of the artist's imagination — the real exact prototype does not exist, the image is a synthesis of what has been seen.

The artist's palette is refined and harmonious, it seems that it is limited to just a few colours for one painting, it gives his work an elegant and harmonious atmosphere. The apparent simplicity stems from his deep attention to composition, and this attention allows him to pass an amazing harmony and an atmosphere of peace. His art is beauty and skill in their form.

The more surprising is the fact that Marzio Tamer is almost self-taught. After a short study at the art school (in the early 80s) Marzio won the prize established by the magazine Airone, followed by an exhibition in Milan. But then Marzio devoted some time to graphic arts and crafts. Only in 1992, with the support and urging of his family, Marzio returned to painting. The Salamon's gallery began to present him as an artist and held several personal exhibitions in Italy and abroad. Pictures of early years were made with acrylic. But only when the artist started to paint with egg tempera (1994) and with watercolor in 2000, only with acquisition of these two techniques, the artist received a truly international reputation.

His works are in the collection of the Denver Art Museum (USA), they were exhibited at museums in both Europe and the United States, and in 2016 they became a subject of a major retrospective exhibition: The Art of Marzio Tamer at the Science Museum, Trento, Italy.

"In my landscapes there is a strong realistic view of what I have seen, but they are too well designed. I add and remove elements until I reach the almost calligraphic effect. Visually there are few elements. I work a lot with post-production, so to speak, and try to find a balance and move in the direction that I have in mind. I try to portray the concept, such as a sense of insecurity or an idea of the moment, a sunset in the mountains, until the shadow covers all. It's the same with animals. I get an almost metaphysical effect."
"The artist who moves in silence, in accordance with the nature and technique of painting," — speaks of him Lorentz Salamon, the gallery owner and curator of the exhibition. He further says: "At the initial stage of his career, he destroyed paintings he didn't like by spraying them in the shower."
The artist says about himself: "My first love is animals, ever since I was a little boy in a kindergarten. I went to wildlife parks to see them and spent my afternoons studying them, making pictures and sketches. Today I'm studying scientific texts, go on the Internet to see the size or study proportion. I work hard on all of my paintings."
"Dry brush in watercolor is a technique which I now feel the most. But I make a large color fill, if I want to get special effects. Then I turn to more realistic details, until I get what interests me."
The artist loves large formats, which is unusual for watercolors, and mainly uses Fabriano paper brand, the one which produces rolls of watercolor paper that are 1 meter wide and 30 meters long.
His biggest work "The Elephant Hathi" took him almost a year.

"The Elephant Hathi", watercolor, dry brush, 130 x 190 cm.

Marzio Tamer is an artist which prefers to surprise by his artistic genius, not by special effects. The artist is said to be extremely restrained, he doesn't like to go out, rarely takes part in social activities. A shy perfectionist, studying ancient ways of painting and in love with animals since childhood — here is a portrait of this brilliant self-taught artist. "The heart of my work is a creative process, and as soon as I finish work, I already prepare myself for tomorrow's work. I have no emotional connection with my work. I only want to fully present a certain animal, certain environment, a certain tree, and as soon as I get that perfectly, I'm happy."