Packing a Doll for Shipping

That's one of the most exciting moments of vital importance when it's time for a doll to go on a long journey. I don't know how it is for you, but for me, this part of my creative activity has always been very exciting, especially when it's associated with a mail shipment. It is not a secret that our mail is not notable for a delicate handling of things for sending, and such a fragile thing like a doll made of polymer clay, with tiny hands and feet, requires a special treatment. And I decided to share my thoughts on this subject, they may be useful to someone, especially to beginners. For the packaging of the doll you will need:

• scissors;
  • strong thread or rope;
  • bubble wrap;
  • miracle cloth (I call it like that, it is the cloth napkins in rolls, sold in supermarkets), or any other tissue;
  • parchment paper for baking;
  • box matching the size of the doll.

I make so-called paper shavings from parchment paper. I unwind some part of the roll and cut it into long stripes. In order to add some liveliness to the shaving, I add some sliced crepe paper of any color. Looks delicious, doesn't it? :)

Then take the miracle cloth, cut it, or don't cut, depending on the situation, and begin to gently wrap the doll, paying special attention to the most fragile parts. Then roll up and tie it with a strong thread. We get such a "mummy" :)

Then wrap it in a bubble wrap, trying to wrap as much as possible and again tie with strong thread. I do not use duck tape because it will be difficult for a buyer to remove it from the doll.

The next step is more pleasant, put paper shavings in a box, immerse our "cocoon" in it and abundantly cover the top with shavings (I also put a sheet of paper for scrapbooking, a small gift and a card in the box). Our main goal is to make sure that the doll is not hanging in the box and sitting there tightly.

Now you can close the lid and tighten the box with duck tape. Then pack it in a mail box. Make sure that nothing is dangling, a box must sit tight in a box. The best way is to put there some foam plastic, it is lightweight and handy. You can crumple up a newspaper, or some other paper and fill with it all the voids. I print out the signs "caution fragile" at home and they let me at the post office stick them on the box (by the way, earlier you had to pay for this service). If there is no printer, you can take a red pen and write the lettering by hand directly on the box, to secure our parcel.

Go to the post office. That's all. I hope my DIY was useful to someone. If you know some tricks in terms of packaging, share them, I really wonder how you do it, let's discuss.