How to Make a Desk Organizer in Cartonnage Technique

Today I want to share with you a DIY on cartonnage. I will tell you how to make a desk organizer.

Recently, I took up cartonnage technique. And I didn't expect that the works of cardboard could be so strong and cardboard is as good as wood. Of course, you need to avoid getting wet, but you can clean it. Today we are going to study a DIY on how to make a desk organizer in Provence style in cartonnage technique.

For my work I used binder's board with the thickness of 1.5 mm, a glue pencil, Titan glue, two sheets of Tilde paper, clamps, sandpaper, wax (you can substitute it with acrylic paint of a brown color, it should be applied lightly with a dry brush), acrylic paint, watercolor paper, a paintbrush, a utility knife, a pencil, a ruler, a cutting mat.

I want to specify that it was the first time I made a desk organizer, and the process order of making is exactly the same as I had :)

Let's proceed to crafting. You can download the template and cut out the pattern using it.

Make a pattern from heavy paper (I used watercolor paper with a weight of 200 g/m2), it is easy to work with, rectangles of size 10,2*6 cm and 9.7*5.5 cm for the sidewalls.

Cut out the rectangles for the sidewalls of the board: 6 parts of a large size and 4 smaller parts.

Glue them in layers, the big rectangle consists of 3 layers of board, the smaller one consists of two layers. Clamp them.

The front and back walls of the desk organizer are glued together in the same way. Large details consist of three layers of cardboard, small parts consist of two layers.

After drying, scrape the edges of our blanks with sandpaper.

Now assemble our items, we make each wall of five layers of cardboard. Secure everything with clamps and let it dry.

Cut out connecting strips of watercolor paper: 4 details of size 5*10cm, score them in half lengthwise.

Glue them to the front and back part of the desk organizer by the sides.

Glue the connecting strip to the edge.

Cut the next two parts of size 17*5 cm and 5*5 cm and score them in the middle lengthwise.

Glue the connecting strips on the bottom of our front and back details.

Glue the sidewalls and the bottom connecting strip, while gluing let every detail dry out.

Glue the top and let it dry.

Glue the connecting strip to the sidewalls of the bottom.

Learning from the experience with a grinder I didn't carve out the bottom in advance in order not to suffer and customized it later, so I measured the size of the bottom by the top. I got 8.2 x 20.1 cm — 2 details 8.8*20,7 — 3 details.

Connect parts of the bottom, cramp them and let them dry.

Glue the parts of the bottom and fix them with clamps, let them dry out.

Cut the corners at 45 degrees on our connecting strips in order to improve the glueing process. Apply Titan glue to the strips and the lower section of the board.

Leave our desk organizer to dry.

Now we need to measure the inside width of the desk organizer to make the partition. I got 5.7*12.8 cm, cut 3 pieces of board.

Glue the parts of the partition together.

Cut 4 pieces of the connecting strips 5*12.5 cm, scope them in the middle.

Glue the connecting strip to the wall.

Mark the middle.

You have to cut the corners of the connecting strips in the upper part (I did it in a process). Apply glue on the partition and glue it.

Here is what you must get.

Use Big Shot to cut out large ovals 7*6 cm — 4 pieces, small ovals 6*5 cm — 3 pieces. We have more parts here, because during the process the Big Shot makes them thinner. If you do not have a Big Shot, it is possible to cut by a pattern No. 1 — a large oval, No. 2 — a smaller oval.

Glue and fix with clamps.

Leave our blanks to dry out well, I made them in the evening and they had been drying until morning.

Scrape all the edges of the desk organizer with sandpaper.

Paint the edges and the bottom of the desk organizer with acrylic paint (I picked up the color which matched the paper I used for decoration). Cut out 2 paper details of pattern No. 2 and 2 rectangles of size 9.7*5.5 cm. I scraped the edges with sandpaper.

Slightly tone the desk organizer with wax.

Glue our paper details. Tone the finished desk organizer with wax.

Glue the inner parts of the desk organizer using a pattern and measuring the inner size of the parts.

I replaced the picture with an oval one, I didn't like the first one very much :) I I made an experiment with flowers for a photo shoot, it's a shame that the peonies have not yet blossomed. I think they would be ideal.

My daughter immediately took the desk organizer for her makeup brushes :)

Thank you very much for reading my DIY! I hope it is useful! Enjoy your creativity!