How to Make a "Telephone Box" Felt Bag

This my 99th DIY in my blog, dedicated to making a Telephone Box bag, created specially for the contest "Around the world". I offer this DIY for everyone who liked the purse and wants to make it.

For the work we will need:

• red hard felt 2-3 mm thick (a piece of about 80 cm by 80 cm);
  • a bit of white felt 1 mm thick;
  • dense plastic (for example, a paper folder for documents or plastic patterns);
  • zipper 20 cm long;
  • a pair of metal half rings and one button stud;
  • a strap with spring hooks of comfortable length;
  • I used sublimation iron-on transfers for the letterings.

A finished bag has dimensions of 35 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm.

You can ask me for a bag pattern in a print-ready form.

Here are the cut details of the bag:

Begin the assembly of the bag from the top. Make a couple of lines on the "roof" at a distance of 2-3 cm from the edge for sewing handles.

The handle detail — a strip 2 cm width (to match the width of the half-rings) is strengthened with stitching from both sides.

Sew the strip on one edge, attach a half-ring.

Bend to the opposite side and fix a half-ring with one more seam.

Leaving a loop of a convenient size, sew the handle from the second end and cut the excess length.

Take 4 parts of the sidewalls with a semicircular top and tack them on the roof.

Duplicate the seam on a sewing machine and remove the temporary stitches.

Now iron on the transfers with letterings and crowns. Put TELEPHONE labels on the white felt, the crowns on the right side of the roof.

The ironing is carried out with an ordinary household iron. Those who are not familiar with this technique can find the details here.

Stitch the rectangles of white felt with inscriptions to the rectangular side.

Stitch the sides to the roof.

Start to assemble the side walls. Three of them will have "windows" — make them out of thick matte plastic.

Collect a "sandwich" for walls — the frame detail with plastic on top.

On top there is a felt detail with windows.

Stitch the sandwich by the inner and outer perimeter with two lines. Thus the edge of the plastic remains hidden between the seams.

Make two more of walls the same way.

Punch a small hole in the middle of one of the walls with windows. We will insert a snap button in it as a door handle.

Now make the fourth wall, it will have a zipper.

Tack the zipper on the plug with a slot.

Then tack the plug with the zipper to the main part of the wall by a second row of stitches. Insert a loop with the second half-ring into the bottom edge.

Stitch the outer and inner perimeters of the plug, firmly locking the zipper and the loop with the half-circle.

The reverse side should look like this.

Now put all four sides and the bottom together.

Stitch the walls to the bottom hem. Please note, that the semicircle should be from one side of the bottom!

Take the roof and attach it to one of the side walls. The side with the half-circle should be connected with the wall with zipper.

Fix all 4 sides — you can use baste stitches, pins or clips.

Stitch on a sewing machine.

Now all we have to do is to connect the side seams. Use the clips/tacking/pins again.

Stitch all the 4 side seams together. It remains only to insert a snap button in the front wall and attach the strap.

The bag is ready! Enjoy your creativity!