How to Make a Trendy Round Bag

In this DIY I'll tell you how to make a stylish round bag :) The bag is made of an interesting jute yarn. The main feature of the bag is its frame thanks to which the bag perfectly keeps the shape, the stitches stay and look so smooth :)

Let's get started!

Part 1. Materials

1. Jute yarn. I have a white (milk) one. You will need 2 and a half skeins.
  2. Knit yarn of the same color as the jute yarn, 1 skein.
  3. "Iris" yarn for the keychain, 3 skeins of different colors. You can also decorate tassels with shells, beads and seed beads.
  4. Crochet hook number 4.
  5. Wooden circle blanks 20 cm in diameter (I have blanks for clocks). You can use blanks of carved wood or a different material to make the handbag lighter. It is important that the material should be rigid and perefectly keep the form.
  6. 4 mm thick felt. It will be used for soft padding. You can choose the color and the thickness at your choice :)
  7. 3 spring hooks. I have bronze polished hooks, but you can take gold or silver hooks. When choosing the size of the hook keep in mind the width of the ear. It must be suitable for handles.
  8. 18 cm long zipper. The zipper preferably should be of the same color as the bag. The zipper teeth and the pull must match the furniture (I have not found a bronze one). Here is one more tip regarding the zipper: do not use a zipper with metal teeth (the waves will appear during the process of sewing). I have plastic teeth.

Part 2. Knitting circles

The circles are crocheted in a spiral according to the scheme, which I attached above. The yarn lays in spirals in the process, you don't have to make a spiral intentionally. I want to note that I didn't manage to knit evenly starting with 6 sc (amigurumi). By trial and error I started the circle with 8 sc. Then follow the scheme, but there are 8 increases in each row.

1. Crochet a circle with a diameter of 20 cm, compare it with the wooden blank). The crocheted circle must be preferably a little larger than the wooden one. You can crochet a half of the last row.
  2. You do not have to strictly follow the scheme. If you feel that the waves start appearing, crochet a row without increases. The point is that you should like the result.
  3. Put a marker as a reference point where you want to start a new row. It is hard to determine the starting point of crocheting in a spiral without a marker. You can use a pin instead of a marker.
  4. Iron the finished circles (2 pieces) and steam them from the left side! Jute is surprisingly susceptible to steam)) I really enjoyed this process :)

Part 3. Assembling the circles

1. As I mentioned earlier, the crocheted circle should be a little larger than the wooden one.
  2. Draw out two circles using a wooden circle. Make them a little larger. I use a vanishing marker (you can buy it at a sewing store). Cut out the circles with scissors.
  3. Now we have a layer of three circles. The wooden one is in the middle.
  4. Stitch the felt circle and and the crocheted circle together. Ready!

P.S. Yes, the result turns out to be quite dense, but the croheted circle will not bend, it will straighten and you will be able to fix it on wood perfectly. As I wrote above, you can insert something else instead of wood, be creative:)

Part 4. Assembling the bag

1. The bottom of the bag. Crochet a chain according to the number of crochets in the last row of the circle.
  2. Make single crochets together with the knit yarn.
  3. Choose the desired width.
  4. Don't forget to make a hole in the middle with the length of 18-20 cm (equal to the length of the zipper). Do not crochet a row in this place, but instead make a chain of loops. The next row will be of single crochets in this chain.
  5. Steam/iron the round base.
  6. Cut and sew felt. I do not use felt in a slit for a zipper.
  7. Connect the base with circles using a thin hook. I put the hook around 3 loops, pulling them out of the loop, see the photo (slip stitches). You may sometimes have to make decreases, you will get it in the process of crocheting.
  8. Connect all the parts, you will get a funny "cookie."

P. S. The brown bag's bottom is crocheted by turned rows of knitted yarn+1 strand of jute. I didn't use felt in the base.

Part 5. Sew in the zipper

I have a DIY video on how to sew the zipper in one of these handbags, you can watch it here>>

Part 6. Crochet a handle

I love crossbody bags, so I always knit them long. But you should note that the handle will go through a spring hook, therefore you need to add about 5 cm on both sides of the handle to the desired length. I usually make handles of a length of 120 cm +/-10 cm, depending on the size and the design. Note that the handle will stretch.
How to crochet
I won't go into details, because each craftsman chooses the most suitable option. I will write a few techniques that I have used:

1. Tunisian crocheted handles, as in DIY, 4 loops.
  2. Turning rows of single crochets (the bag in the first photo in the collage).
  3. "Caterpillar" cord. Use this method for a bag with an openwork insert. I really like to crochet it. You can find plenty of videos on the Internet.

I'm sure there are more options. You decide which one to choose :)

Attachment
After putting the edge of the handle through the hook, pull 5 cm and stitch tightly with matching yarn or thread. The hook can be fixed to the bag or to the semicurcle, as in the photo in the collage above.

Part 7. Make bright keychain tassels

I made bright keychain tassels for the beige bag :) I also made two large tassels for the light beige bag but they are not detachable.

I have a DIY on how to make yarn tassels, you can watch it here>>

A tassel can be done using this principle>>

How else can we decorate a bag?
Next time I would love to decorate a bag with tiny crocheted flowers and leaves or a wreath. I really want to make an embroidery with raffia or ribbons on a grid and sew it to a bag. You can crochet circles of different colors forming a pattern. Use your imagination! :)

My bags

Two of my purses are already in the collages, but I propose to look at them separately :) That's what I got:

Thanks for reading! I wish you success:) I would be glad if you share (or boast:)) with me your bag, made by this DIY!