Incomparable Mister Finch: Amazing Works by British Textile Designer
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Toys, Sewing

"My name is Finch — it's actually my last name... But everyone calls me that way. I like it.
I named my business "Mister Finch" to make it clear: I'm a man and I sew"

With these words the story of the British textile artist begins. Mister Finch is self-taught: his creative career was difficult, but eventually he came to sewing, it became the artist's favorite work and mission.

Mister Finch makes toys and textile sculptures: most of them are beasts and birds, insects and mushrooms that seem to have gone from the pages of "Alice in Wonderland". Some of them (especially the giant moths and spiders) can produce quite an eerie effect. So if you are afraid of insects, you'd rather not go to the workshop of Mister Finch :)

As for the workshop. The creative space of Mister Finch is an amazing place that reminds me of the room of some magician, the library of some old mansion. The artist lives in Leeds, Yorkshire... But it seems that it's not modern time but the nineteenth century. Only a computer on a desk reveals him :)

A sense of history is not accidental in the works of the master. Mister Finch draws inspiration from English folklore, in its exciting stories and warnings. "Witches who turn into animals, hares with moon eyes, a smartly dressed devil, encouraging you to go astray... Animals like humans, dressed in human clothes and shoes, and that's exactly what I create," says Mister Finch. "I imagine that at night they come alive. They dress up and help around the house an elderly shoemaker or a tired housewife."

Every toy certainly hides a story: in most cases, the artist uses vintage and simply old tissue, he remakes things. He is sure that such materials give the works a sense of great realism and charm. Velvet curtains from an old hotel, a shabby wedding dress and a vintage apron turn into birds and beasts, who are looking for new owners and go on a journey.

"It is a great pleasure to hunt for things for my next work. Items that were lost, regained and forgotten — all of them find a place in my works," says Mister Finch. "These are the works with history, they are made for people just like them — a little lost, newly found and forgotten..."

Mister Finch gives a high status to moths: small and large, made of tapestry and textile, with or without embroidery. This diversity has no limits. In the neighborhood there are beetles and bees of a really amazing size:)

Amazing and creepy spiders have come from the pages of stories about witches and Halloween:

The incredible world of mushrooms also found a place in his works:

Interesting fact: Mister Finch considers himself to be from Hufflepuff :) So there are badgers in his collection too:

And finally my favourite — luxurious textile swans and a pretty peacock:

Like, add this publication to your favorites and write in comments which work you liked the most!