A Step-by-Step Photo DIY Project on Embroidering Icicle Earrings

This DIY project will show you the step-by-step process of embroidering earrings with your own hands. Earrings are really beautiful, shine nice and look like a jewel. The tutorial is good for beginners, too.

All materials are described within the process. Let's start!

Draw a 3 x 1.5 cm pattern of a leaf on paper. Cut it out, put on felt of 1 mm thickness (I use pink) and transfer with a tailor's marker. I also draw lines vertically and horizontally to mark the centre of the pattern. Apply the central crystal: Swarovski Chaton (set Chaton SS29, colour Light Rose):

Take about 10 cm of hard twisted thread (width 1 mm, silver). Slightly drag it to make short gaps.
Prepare a needle (I use a UK Micron needle 10/13) with a thread (NYMO size D, colour Pink). Sew the twisted thread around the contour:

Sew the pink crystal:

Add by a little Swarovski bezel (set Chaton Montees SS16 (4 mm), colour Crystal) on each side:

Sew 4 pearl beads (Swarovski crystal pearls, 4 mm, colour White) around the pink crystal. The hole of a bead is close to the small bezel:

Add by a pink seed bead (TOHO, galvanized, size 8/0, colour Vintage Rose) from each side:

Cut 4 pieces of the twisted thread with a length of 7 mm (1 mm width, silver):

Sew the pieces between the beads this way to shape the arcs:

Here's what you should get:

Sew pieces of truncal twisted thread (1.5 mm thickness, colour Dark Steel) on two sides from the pink crystal:

Sew the pearl beads with three silver beads (Miyuki round 15/0, Steel) and one pink seed bead (Miyuki round 15/0, Aubergine) around shaping an arc:

Now fill the corners with Miyuki Delica cylindrical beads (metallic, colour Steel) sizes 15/0 and 11/0:

Continue to work with the truncal twisted thread, use it symmetrically to fill empty spaces:

Here's what you get at the end:

Now carefully cut out the embroidery with sharp scissors leaving about 1 mm edge:

Now take a piece of cardboard for more hardness. Cut out a blank 1-2 mm smaller than the embroidery:

Use Moment Crystal glue (transparent) to stick them together. Wait until the item dries, 20 minutes is enough.

And decorate the backside with a piece of leather, I use natural silver leather with a 0.6-0.8 mm thickness:

Glue the embroidery to the leather, backside to the backside. Wait until it gets dry and neatly cut out with sharp scissors:

Now it is time to perfect the edges! I use round silver Miyuki 15/0. The knot is hidden between the layers:

And sew beads one by one to the very edge:

Try to sew the beads close to each other. This perfects the edges and makes it marvellous:

When the edge is embroidered, I pass the needle through all beads around the edge, reach the top and sew an earring fixture out of silver-plated brass.
Then I pass the needle through all beads once again to fix the result. Hide the thread in felt: sew the item along the base and cut off the end with sharp scissors close to the base.

The earring is ready! Now make the second one :)

They look great and are very light:

This is how the earrings look with a different colour scheme. Cute, right? :)

Add yourself to Circle, follow my new posts, DIY projects, and shop news.
If you liked the tutorial — click 'Like', I'd be glad if you do.