Photographers Protecting Nature: The Winners of The Nature Conservancy Photo Contest 2018

The Nature Conservancy is one of the largest organizations for the protection of environmentally significant land and water areas. The charitable mission was founded in 1951 and currently employs approximately 600 scientists and more than a million members in 72 countries of the world. The Nature Conservancy helps to preserve the pristine beauty of nature.

WILDLIFE

People's Choice Award

WATCHING YOU WATCHING ME (CANADA)

"Fox in Bonavista, Newfoundland, July 2017", author: Megan Lorenz, Canada

O CAÇADOR (THE HUNTER) (MEXICO)

"Great white shark hunt in the waters off the island of Guadalupe, Mexico", author: Roberto Moccini Formiga, Brazil

POLAR BEAR (CANADA)

"The white bear wanders over drifting ice, watching the ice melting. The photo was taken in Nunavut in the summer of 2017," author: Florian Ledoux, France

WATER

SERENITY (ICELAND)

"Waterfall Alaerts in Iceland, January 2018. The hardest to reach, often the most beautiful and peaceful", author: Jeremy Stevens, PA, USA

REUNIÃO DE JACARÉS (ALLIGATORS OF MEETING) (BRAZIL)

"The lagoon is home to numerous alligators, in the Northern Pantanal, Pocone region. The late night landscape has acquired a bluish tinge. Photo of 23.09.2011", author: Jorge André Diehl, Brazil

HER MAJESTY (AUSTRALIA)

"Plastic bag in their natural habitat — the ocean. The picture was taken in Shellharbour, 2017. Once we admired the plastic, and now he's destroying everything we love. Nature binds us, we must protect it", author: Aristo Risi, Australia

PEOPLE AND NATURE

SLENDER SLOTS (UTAH)

"Squeezing through one of the narrow cracks in the canyon of the State reserve Grand Staircase-Escalante. The picture was taken in the course of a long expedition through the deserts of southern Utah," author: Tanner Latham, MT, USA

WATERFALL WONDERS (ZIMBABWE)

"Victoria falls is Sedmoe wonder of the world. Marks the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, it is the best place for the meeting of the two peoples and admiration from the incessant roar of water falling from a height of one hundred meters. December 2016", author: Harry Randell, Zimbabwe

SUNRISE VAMA VECHE (ROMANIA)

"Sunrise on the beach in Vama Veche, Romania", author: George Bufan, Romania

LANDSCAPE

NAMIBIAN CURVES (SOSSUSVLEI, NAMIBIA)

"We were at the master class "the Chronicles of Namibia", concluded the wonderful night of shooting in the area of Sossusvlei. On the way back my eyes caught on a simple composition. I couldn't resist and stopped the group to do this shot. Sossusvlei, Namibia, 17.11.2017", author: Paul Zizka, Canada

FLOATING IN THE DEAD SEA (ISRAEL)

"A unique experience in the lowest point of the earth. We belong to nature and not Vice versa. Without nature we cannot live, but she will live without us," author: Aline Fortuna, Brazil

FUEGO Y ENERGÍA PURA (PURE ENERGY AND FIRE) (MEXICO)

"The eruption of Colima volcano shows its power. In small quantities, and extent of eruptions help to stop global warming", author: Hernando Alonso Rivera Cervantes, Mexico

CITIES AND NATURE

MY HOME MY CITY (HONG KONG)

"Rock Lion Rock is a symbol of Hong Kong. Many Hong Kong residents, including me, grew up in the shadow of the mountain, so it also represents the spirit of the residents. The picture was taken 14.01.2018", author: Andus Tse Kwok Kui, a Hong Kong, China

AUTUMN IN THE BIG APPLE (NEW YORK CITY)

"The world trade center, new York, November 2017," author: Yonca Ables, FL, USA

RECLAMATION (UNITED ARAB EMIRATES)

"The superstitious fears of a visit to this Ghost town in the UAE took place only after an hour of being there. But I still was nervous when I went into these "homes". Like cross the line of the forbidden zone, so I tried to behave respectfully. In the deserts of the Arabian Peninsula feel very differently, it's a reminder that nature always takes its course", author: Jesse Yang, new Jersey, USA

JUDGES’ SPECIAL RECOGNITION

WELCOME TO MY HUMBLE ABODE (SCOTLAND)

"A tiny little mushroom hiding under the cap of the toadstool, the South of Scotland, 2017", author: Duncan McNaught, UK

LAVA EXPLOSION (HAWAII)

"During the eruption of Kilauea volcano in Kalapana lava hits the ocean water, throwing into the air of molten basalt rocks and acidic steam plumes. When hot lava vaporizes the cold water, she shoots in all directions the fragments of volcanic rock and creates a steaming cloud "lava mist", consisting of a mixture of the acid steam from sea water, hydrochloric acid and kroshechka shards of volcanic glass", author: Elyse Butler, Hawaii, USA

LA PACHA MAMA (COLOMBIA)

"The model holds the skeleton of the dry leaf. Juan de Acosta, Atlantic, 8 January 2017. Nature is a generous mother", author: Ruben Dario Mejia, Colombia

THIRD PLACE

FROG HUG (ARKANSAS)

"In muddy puddles along the road we found several small frogs-bulls. On top of a hill a little wet and they are located far away from each other, so dirty lowlands became the permanent home for tadpoles, frogs and toads. My daughter loves all animals, she dreams one day to establish a centre of recovery of wildlife. She constantly inspires me with her care towards living beings", author: Terra Fondriest, Arkansas, USA

SECOND PLACE

THE END IS NEAR (ICELAND)

"This lump of ice must be thousands of years old. But recently she broke off from the Vatnajökull glacier lagoon of Jökulsárlón, and soon melt into the sea. The picture was taken in July 2017 in Iceland", author: Andre Mercier, CA, USA

GRAND PRIX

PLAYING STALLIONS (CAMARGUE, FRANCE)

"The power of the animal Kingdom", author: Camille Briottet, France