Dyeing Handwoven Fabrics with Natural Herb Dyes

This summer I finally managed to try dyeing fabric with natural vegetable dyes. And it all started with the purchase of handwoven fabrics of different textures.

I hope my experience may inspire someone.

Store dyeing greens at each season when they have a maximum amount of dyes in them:

• leaves after full disclosure in the spring
  • roots of plants are dug either in the spring (just before flowering) or in the fall
  • but many plants have an optimal amount of dyes all summer (the stems and leaves of tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, celandine, hypericum, etc.).

I took tansy and stalks of tomatoes.

Cut them into pieces and boil. Add salt as a fixative for dyeing cotton fabrics. Or use alum — white powder, used for painting in "bright" colours, copper sulphate — blue and green crystals for dark colours).

Leave the broth to cool all night with plants. The next day remove all plant parts from the water, steam and filter for a more intense colour.

Fabric before dyeing must be washed and dried.

The fabric is boiled for an hour. Then cool the solution without removing the fabric as long as you can to make the colour intense. Then cool the solution and rinse the fabric in running water several times. For the last rinse, add 2 tbsp of vinegar or 1 tbsp of an essence.

To make the colour smoother, use larger containers.The dyeing technology is always the same. Now I want to show what shades are obtained when dyeing with other plants...

Thyme and wormwood.

Leaves and stems of tomatoes.

Dry onion peel.

The broth was very intense, but after rinsing the fabric has faded...

Black tea and hypericum.

The overall result of dyeing. These fabrics are designed for clothing my dolls, and I think it will be a beautiful collection.

Thank you for your attention, I will be very happy if my tutorial turns out to be useful for you!