Earthly and Eternal: Embroidering Double-Sided Earrings

If you like Swarovski crystals, this DIY is for you.

Materials and tools:

1. Round Miyuki seed beads, 11/0 and 15/0 (191 and 401).
  2. Superduo (24k gold).
  3. Greek Cross 8 mm and 14 mm, frames for them.
  4. Greek Cross pendants 14 mm.
  5. Swarovski Chaton, 4 mm in the setting (Chrysolite Opal).
  6. Bicone 3 mm and 4 mm.
  7. Chain (width 2 mm).
  8. Clamp bales.
  9. Pins with a loop.
  10. Earring fixtures.
  11. Connecting rings 3 and 4 mm.
  12. Thread and needle.
  13. Threads for satin stitch embroidery.
  14. Rough felt or any thick material for embroidery (I had Lasy's Stiff Staff).
  15. Eco-leather, suede, velvet, or decorative fabric for the inside.
  16. Moment Crystal glue.
  17. Tweezers, cutters, pliers.

Techniques:

• Embroidery on velvet on the front side.
  • Satin stitch embroidery.
  • Weaving on the reverse side and the items in the netting on the front.
  • Pendants in the art of Assembly pins.

Dimensions: 5.5 cm width, 14 cm length.

Let's get started!

1. It all starts with a sketch and layout. Something may change in the making process. The main thing is to determine the size and remember (write down) the distance between elements.

2. Glue a piece of black velvet to the base for embroidery. Or use a hoop. You need quite a bit of glue.

3. Mark the centre and the location of key elements at the backside.

4. Fasten 14 mm Greek Cross in the setting and sew to the base. Cut off two pieces of chain and sew crosswise.

5. Sew the remaining elements: 4 crosses by 8 mm (in settings). Sew Superduo and 4mm Chaton Montees at four sides of the Central cross. Add 15 size beads there this way:

6. Embroider the edging:

7. According to a French legend, the Frankish king Clovis I was converted to Christianity in 496, after that, an angel gave him a Golden Lily as a sign of purification. Once the cross earrings are symbolic, let's add the symbol of the lilies:

8. Fill some space with glossy black beads and 3 mm hematite bicone crystals. This gives rich texture and lustre. Thus, all velvet is covered except the parts between the lilies and the central cross.

9. Cut out the embroidery close to the edge with the curved nail scissors. A narrow strip of velvet still remains, it's ok.

10. Assemble the pendant. Chain pieces of different lengths are attached to the connecting ring with pins at the end. The pins are assembled with 3 and 4 mm Swarovski bicones.

11. Embroider the edge with Miyuki seed beads, size 11/0. At the bottom, sew the 4 mm connecting ring with the pendant.

12. At the backside, add woven elements (not embroidery). These lines are attached to the edge beads. Add central elements. Round earring fixtures allow wearing the pieces of jewellery with any side right :)

Here's what you get:

I hope everything is clear, or I can answer any question.

Enjoy your creativity, my dear!