School DIY: How to Cut and Carve an Oak Pencil Case

School time has come, and it has inspired me to create a pencil case from oak. All you need is a parquet board and the main tool — a circular saw.

First, prepare blanks of the desired size. Cut off the locks on the workpieces and one of the boards is cut into thin pieces. I have a bandsaw and a line gauge, so I made blanks of the desired thickness with their help, you can do this with the circular saw and subsequent polishing.

All grooves and spikes are cut with the circular saw, so it is faster than using a router. Just set up the height of the disc and that's all.

The set is ready for gluing. The wide part of the spikes are processed with a chisel, so the gap becomes thinner. The sidewalls absorb glue, so apply more glue. But don't let glue to go beyond the seam. That's it. Squeeze well with clamps.

I believe that the case should be with rounded edges for secure. The corners are rounded with sanding or plane, but here I make all with the router.

The lid needs a picture. So I glued a pattern on the cover. You can use a jigsaw, do not hurry.

And grind all properly. All fails should be hidden. Using stain and oil means at least 240 grains. Something like 100 - 150 - 240.

After that, cover the case with stain and oil. I just rub the product and all changes right before your eyes! I recommend to use oil stain.

Ready for school!