Stunning Paintings with Threads by Alexandra Lukashevker
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Needlework

Alexandra Davidovna Lukashevker (1925-1992) studied at the Stroganov Art School in Moscow. During her lifetime, she was revered by a narrow circle of experienced people, well-known artists and art critics, and only some years later after she passed away her works found their place in the exposition of the Personal collections department in the Fine Arts Museum of A.S. Pushkin.

She painted with oil just 'for herself' until the late 70's, her works shared fresco light due to the relaxed freedom of broad strokes and heavy, dark tones, silver, blue and purple. When doctors found cataracts, they forbidden her to paint. And Alexandra Davidovna turned to embroidery.

Alexandra Lukashevker wrote: 'After years of work with easel painting, the search for organic spontaneous colour and space, after a few monumental works that left a feeling of non-realization, of an unreachably high result, partly due to external and partly due to internal causes, I suddenly turned to embroidery. And here I found a joy from the fact of contact produced with fabric and thread, their interaction, usual for me and reminding oil painting, mosaic, etc. Although, the manner of colour building, transferring from one colour to another and the search of stitch direction were mostly borrowed from mosaic'.

Embroidery by Alexandra Lukashevker is not decorative, although very beautiful. It is like paintings on canvas. The artist puts stitches like miniature colourful dabs. This is an invention she's made.

Wish you a pleasant viewing, dear needlewomen!