A Wire Wrap Technique DIY: Creating a Snake Ring

I want to share with you the technique of creating a one-size wire snake ring. The snake turns out quite unusual, it looks interesting and anyone can make it with own hands from a wire.

So, you need:

• copper wire, diameter 1,3 / 0,8 / 0,3 mm
  • a bead — stone or any other
  • 4 copper beads, diameter 2 and 3 mm
  • round-nose pliers
  • gas burner
  • surface for soldering
  • pliers
  • engraver (or needle file)
  • anvil
  • sandpaper
  • polishing paste

Step 1. Making a base

Take a cut of the thickest wire. In this case, I used diameter 1.3, but you can take it in the range of 1-1.5 mm.

Leave a couple of centimeters free from the edge, make a cut of about 2/3 of the thickness with the graver or needle file. Thus, you'd easily bend the wire at an accute angle and solder the tip.

Using pliers, bend the edges and solder like in the picture below. I used soft copper-phosphorus solders (sold in a syringe), you can take it in the form of a wire.

After al is soldered, sharpen the tip with the graver or a needle file, properly sand it.

Then take a cylindrical object and wrap the wire forming the ring.

Using pliers, bend the ends like waves.

Again take the needle file and sharpen the tip.

Carefully sand the tip and wrap all in a spiral with pliers.

Take a small hammer and hit the tip. Sand well again to remove all unevenness left by the hammer.

Step 2. Make a muzzle

Select a stone bead to insert it into the head. Sometimes, you have to find a stone fitting the loop, it takes time. Wire it to the base.

After the stone is fixed, add two copper beads (eyes) with the diameter of 0.3 mm.

Then take a small wire cut and make a blank like in the photo below. It covers the bead and eyes.

Again, repeat the steps with soldering and sanding.

Tape the blank to the head.

After fixing, bend backwords slightly as pictures below.

Take small copper beads, add them by one at the edges and decorate wiht winding wire 2x2 between the base of the head and the upper detail.

The head is finished.

Step 3. Wrapping the base

Now take our second piece of wire, 0,8 mm diameter. Sharpen the edge, sand and twist it into a spiral.

Pass the ball under the tip of the upper element on the head and wind it to the base.

Now my favourite part follows :) Take a long piece of thin wire (0.3 mm) and begin to twist the two wires together with the 2x3 winding.

Move on around the entire length of the snake.

When you reach the tip of the tail, cut off the excess and sharpen the tip, place it inside the large spiral.

Polish.
Put the item in the citric acid solution to remove soot, oxides after soldering and so on.

Clean the product thoroughly with dishwashing detergent, then patinate. Now I use sulphur liver. And I also found out that the result is much better when the product is rubbed properly with a rough denim cloth :)

Patinate, polish and enjoy the final result :)

Thank you for your attention! :)

Save

Save

Save