Embroidering an Octopus Heliotropium Pendant

Let me introduce you to my marine friend. Meet Octopus Heliotropium, simply put — Octopus of heliotrope colour. I'm glad to offer to your attention the result of our almost co-creativity.

I must say that 3 days is a period spent by skilled needlewomen tirelessly working from dawn to dusk over a masterpiece. I do not belong to them, therefore, preparation of the tutorial took me exactly two weeks. I've used antique metal beads and modern materials.

So, you need:

For the octopus.

1. Swarovski crystals 30×20 mm — Pear shaped, Heliotrope colour.
  2. Vintage Swarovski crystals 10×6 mm — Pear shaped, Heliotrope colour — 5 pcs.
  3. Swarovski pearls 8 mm — Iridescent purple colour — 2 pcs.
  4. Swarovski pearls 3 mm — Night Blue colour — 17 pcs.
  5. Antique metal beads (roughly corresponds to the modern items No. 11 and No. 15).

For the background.

1. Shibori silk ribbon, approximately 15 cm
  2. Fabric of golden-and-sand colour — 15 x 15 cm
  3. Beads, sequins, glass beads — of blue and golden-and-brown shades of different sizes.
  4. Swarovski pearls from 3 to 8 mm, Creamy and Vintage Gold colours.
  5. Vintage Swarovski crystal 8×6 mm — shape Oval, color Aquamarine — 2 pcs.
  6. Beads, Swarovski bicone.

Notion:

• felt, glue, cardboard or drawing paper, scissors, needle and thread (I prefer NYMO)
  • genuine leather, toggle clasp, acrylic paint (antique gold and silver)
  • Swarovski beads and pearls from 7 to 12 mm in different colours

First draw a sketch. Its size depends on the central large crystal 30x20 mm.

Cut out the template of the octopus out of felt and paint acrylic silver.

Next, cut out two parts of the shell. One piece of felt, another of golden cloth, a little less at the bottom.

The both parts are basted with golden metallic thread.

It's the turn of the Shibori silk ribbon. Sew it with little stitches to the shell, the bottom line is laid in the shape of a wave. The octopus is sewn over.

Now sew crystals into their place and bezel with metal beads. The bottom is toned with golden acrylic paint.

Next, embroider the blank of the octopus with antique metal beads, but of smaller size (corresponds to modern 15).

I wanted my octopus to come to life at this stage and helped me in work, so I made the eyes with two Swarovski pearls 8 mm, color Iridescent Purple.

Bezel the pearls with beads (No. 11) — the eyes are ready.

Continue embroidering the octopus with beads, starting from the tips of the tentacles.

Now add suction cups to the tentacles — Swarovski pearls 3mm, Blue Night colour.

The edge of the wave is sewn with blue beads and the bottom is embroidered with treasures of our sea, starting with the largest elements.

Fill in all the gaps with glass and bugle beads, golden-and-brown colour, with bicones, pearls and Swarovski crystals.

The sea is filled with beads of blue shades between the waves.

The waves allow to add sequins to the beads — use this chance.

At this stage, I pick up beads and pearls in colour and size and sew them to the base on the back side.

Maybe it's not the most convenient way for further work, but it fixes all well and I feel certain that nothing will come off.

The final step is traditional one. Strengthen the work with glue and cardboard, glue leather and bezel with beads.

Admire the result of your painstaking work and dream about the impending meeting with the sea.

Thank you for your attention! Good luck and inexhaustible inspiration!

Yours,

Troubadour and Octopus Heliotropium :)