Teddy-Doll DIY for Beginners

This tutorial is for those who wants to make a Teddy and doesn't know how to start.

Day 1. Painting the face, cutting and sewing details.

If you haven't tried to sew a Teddy doll, it's easier to make it a medium size (about 30 cm). You need:

- face mold 72 (vintage copy of a sleeping doll by Yolanda Bello) — it's easier to paint a sleeping model

- white plate

- watercolour

- pastel

- squirrel brush 0

- synthetic brush 1

- soft brush for applying varnish

- spray varnish to fix painting in a tank

- mat, colourless, water-based varnish

The main tool for drawing — your fingers.

,Apply three drops of watercolour — red, black and yellow — mix them to get a pink shade.

Carefully paint the face with your fingers:

Now the hair — mix red + yellow + much black — and the lips — yellow + red:

Dry the face. Take the squirrel brush 0 and paint the eyelashes, eyebrows and corners of the mouth with a few strokes:

It's time for applying pastels. Use warm colours: ochre, brown, red, pink, orange, red.

Now take two: brown + pink for the creases of the eyelids, nose, chin.

Apply blush with a large brush or fingers. And this part of painting the face is over, sprinkle it with matt spray varnish and dry for a few minutes. Then cover the face with the colourless matt water-based varnish using a soft brush. The mouth may be coated with glossy varnish.

The next step — cutting and sewing. You need

- template for the body, fabric ears and heels

- pen

- scissors, needle and thread

- viscose / mohair / plush

The basic guideline: the larger the Teddyl, the longer should be the pile.

Cut out the details from paper, them lay the pieces on cloth, mark the direction of threads and cut out the pieces of cloth with 5mm allowances.

Sew all details manually. Strengthen the soles with glue before sewing, and the parts where joints will be, too. Use the famoius backstitch.

When sewing, carefully tuck all pile inside and leave free edges for stuffing. Here're ready-made legs:

Before sewing the hood, apply the pieces to the head will not be superfluous thickness. Sometimes all pile is cut off from allowances.

When all details are stitched, have a rest.

Day 2. Assembly, stuffing and toning.

At this stage you need:

- Moment Crystal glue

- toothpick

- fasteners

- awl

- half-round nose pliers

- stick for stuffing

- shavings

- granulate

- wool

- hammer

- pastel or oil for toning

- small, flat synthetic brush

- needle and thread

First of all, attach the hood to the face. Apply glue drop by drop starting from the top backside of the face.

Dry the blank. Then stuff. If you're a beginner, I recommend to use a mix of shavings and something soft like wool, cotton, polyester batting — shavings enable to shape the body. I used wool this time.

Now take plywood discs that are stronger and cotter pins of two types: o-shaped and t-shaped.

This is how you can fix them:

Stuff the head, help with the stick. Take two o-shaped cotter pins, join them at the loops, insert at the neck. Use a disk to fix one inside the head, and another should hang free:

I made this caterpillar. Now the arms. Stuff them and insert t-cotter pins with a disk washer. I pinned an eraser from the right side to fix the joint for a while and to easier stuff the blank.

Now use the shavings, I usually buy them at the construction shops and prefer pink beech. Stuff the tips of the paws well. Sew up the blanks.

Assemble the rest of the toy. When stuffing the body, a special granulate for extra weight is added ti the bottom, for large and medium size toys small rocks for aquariums may be used. The body is stuffed firmly, but not up to the stone condition. Pay attention, the neck should not be weak.

And sew all holes up, add ears, trim the toy — the scissors should be perfectly sharp — and hammer the tips of the paws, soles, shoulders and make a small hollow in the chest.

The kids are ready, you can tone them.

I use oil paint or pastel. Toning helps to emphasise important details. Add clothes, some prefer aged fabric.

Here are the sleeping babies that turned out!

Thank you for your attention! If you repost or use the material somehow else, please specify the author.