Plates and Plaques: A Fresh Look on Familiar Things

I remember well how I made my first plate, created ornamets for it. But the story of the plates is so rich that anything new can be hardly invented. Now we use them not only as a tool for having meals but as a decorative element in a n interior. How did it all start?

The first porcelain plates, similar to modern ones, were created in China in the 7th century. In the XIV—XV centuries the first plates from tin and wood appeared in Europe. In the early 18th century in the German city of Meissen potters learned how to make plates according to Chinese secrets. Now Meissen porcelain is a brand firmly associated with an elite lifestyle.

And what about plaques? Who and when had the idea to use them as decorations? It all started with the tradition when the Emperor rewarded his citizens with expensive porcelain plates. And since the late 19th century a fashion for collecting appeared.White and blue plates, the most rare and antique items were the most popular.

But in the mid-60s of the 20th century a well-known Lalique compamy presented a collection of plates designed exclusively for decoration and not for eating. If you collect or would like to collect plaques, mind you need space to keep it. Use walls at home effectively. :)

Use one tone or colour:

Plates should match the interior design:

The rule of contrasting things may work:

Actually, modern laconic interiors support any experiments with style:

Tatar ornaments by Flery Daminova (artflera):

Celtic ceramics by Elena Hangingwall:

PS Huge thanks to the artists who provided their photos for publication)))