The Charm of the English Vintage
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Recycling

This article is devoted entirely to one English cottage hidden among green gardens of the village of Cadbury in Birmingham. The owners of the cottage, Lisa and Matt Pedington, bought it 15 years ago. Lisa recalls that when the house had just been bought, it was in poor condition, but she fell in love at first sight with its original sash windows, high ceilings, brick fireplace and antique gas stove. Lisa was always a fan of vintage style while her husband tended to modern interiors. They had to compromise, but when Matt passed away in 2006, Lisa gave vent to her vision of vintage style. By that time, the repairs had not been completed, the replacement of the roof and restoration of the windows were required. Left alone with two children, Lisa has not abandoned the house and spent all her savings on the costly repair. Therefore, the interior decoration took more than one year.

The primary source of furniture and various interior items for Lisa steel flea markets, charity shops, thrift shop. It was there that she bought her treasures with real pennies. Creating the interior of each room, Lisa was guided solely by intuition: "I never guided by a definite plan. I don't choose a wall color just because it matches the sofa or chairs. I just choose a hue which is, I think, corresponds to this room and then fill it with their favorite finds, regardless of color and style. If something looks not very good, I'm just trying this thing in the other room."