Twining a Cabochon form Both Sides
  • Category: DIYs
  • Practices: Weaving

I decided to make a DIY for cabochon twining. This method seems pretty and not so corny looking. Hope someone will need this information :)

So, you need:

- 11 Delica beads

- 15 seed beads (Toho or tiny Czech — I took Czech beads because they are smaller)

- also a little round beads 11, I used Toho

- monofilament or threads

- a beautiful double sided cabochon

Use as many beads for the first row as you need to twine tightly. I got 104 pieces for a cabochon 55х35х8 cm.

Pick the amount of beads you need and close the circle. I don't make knots to use the remaining floss for braiding the back side of the cabochon later.

Apply the beaded thread to the stone, see that all fits tight.

Next, weave the row with a mosaic stitch up to the end.

And weave two more rows. Try the blank after each new row to see if it fits tight.

When you finish go to the next step.

Next, take small beads 15, I used Czech this time. And continue "building" the frame :)

An dmake row 2 of white beads with a mosaic stitch.

That's what it should be like:

Next move the thread to the next row of weaving. Pick 2 beads 15 and pass the needle into the next bead, creating a "hill". After that pass the needle through 3 beads and again pick two beads (see photo).

Sew up to the end and proceed to the next step. Now put blue beads between the hills and add white sharp tips. (The blue beads are Czech like white, but by the experience I say that you can use beads 11.)

You get such scallops.

Sew 5 white beads 15 to the scallops. Making "windows". To do this, pick 5 beads and pass through a bead as shown in the photo.

You get such a "fence"! :)

To finish the side, add by one more bead 15 in the gaps of the "fence"(see the picture). Tighten the edge and pass the thread twice to be on the safe side.

You get the frame for the cabochon. Very nice and delicate.

Then proceed to the second side. Use the same thread or the one left from the first step.

Act the same way:

The hills:

Be not afraid of the "shaking" windows :) They will take their place in the last step.

And voila! The stone is smoothly framed from both sides.

Here is another shape:

Well, that's all! I hope this tutorial will be useful :)

If you have any questions, you're welcome. Because this is my first DIY, and might have missed something.

Sweetest creativity, inspiration and excellent ideas!

Best regards,

Anna