Meet Ebru: Turkish Water Painting Art and Its Techniques

Ebru is an amazing art! It requires agility, skill, precise movements. It's not just chaotic stains on water — it is orderly and precise actions of an artist. And the higher the qualification, the finer and more detailed the picture is, the sharper the lines, silhouettes, spots.

Ebru is thought to be a meditation, a kind of a pleasant process of spraying paint, available to anyone and at any age. And partly it is. But just partly. One day my teacher in Istanbul told me, "There is no ebru in Russia, there is marbling". And it made me sad because we do not go into details. But this dance of colours on water is to be learnt. Otherwise, it's like pouring paint on canvas from a bucket.

Authentic ebru is transfering an image on paper. Natural dyes, thickeners, brush of rose stalks and horsehair... It is a beautiful and ancient ritual of communication with water, in other words, "water got tired, it needs rest". Ebru is fascinating.

I am quite literal when speaking about the accuracy of the images. Ebru is classically divided into types. And each has its own technology and description. The exhibitions of ebru take place in Turkey. The artists interact closely. And this is a spiritual community!

Batal ebru (by Fatih Yesil):

Shawl ebru (artist Fatih Yesil):

Comb Ebru:

The good news is a wondrous meditation. The result isn't so important — the process absorbs so much :)