Bright Mexico: Point-to-Point Box Painting

I love taking in all the intricacies and details of folk ornaments. So I decided to learn all about Mexican patterns using an example of a box. So, here you go!

You need the following tools:

1. The box, I chose pine wood.

2. SONET black acrylic primer. The prime is more opaque than acrylic paint, so use it.

3. Decola glossy acrylic paint.

4. Contours for painting. I used four: green, blue (Tair), yellow (Decola) and bronze (Idea).

5. Metal ruler.

6. Gel pen for marking the pattern.

7. Craquelure varnish.

8. Cotton buds for corrections.

9. Pins for cleaning nozzles.

10. Screwdriver.

11. Varnish and sandpaper, a few brushes for primer and work with background.

So, the process.

First of all, sand all rough parts and remove the hinges from the box — this greatly facilitates priming and subsequent painting.

Then begin to prime. Secure surfaces from it.

Then primed the box and leave for an hour to dry. After I decided to varnish in one layer. Prime coating is a good thing, but it actively cling different dust and absorbs paint. After varnishing, safely work without fear of a surprise. Now everything is fixed!

After that, use the gel pen to mark the pattern like this:

Now, having finished the marking, paint the lid. The Mexican ornaments are characterized with bright contrast and geometrical details, so I decided to make all intense. Introduce by one color so that all the colours were nicely distributed on the box. First green:

Blue:

Added yellow and bronze. They serve as accents.

The lid should be bright because it's the first thing one usually notices. So I decided to emphasize the contrasts with craquelure. The thicker the varnish layer, the greater the cracks are. Leave to dry for an hour.

Now ultramarine acrylic comes into play, use a flat brush. Apply it with small strokes, trying not to go back to a previously painted place (not to damage craquelure):

Cover is ready, now you can get to the sides. The sides of the box are decorated with an ornamental tape:

Introduce another colour into the work:

And the edge of the cover:

Then I made the second tape:

Mark the widest tape with the pen:

Here I decided to focus on green, so I use it in the marking:

That's what I got:

Then add yellow:

And it's the turn of blue:

Leave the box to dry for about an hour, then paint its inner part. After painting I again leave the box to dry for an hour.

The hinges are left and ...

A bright interior detail is done! Admire the result :)

Thank you for your attention!

And what use would you find for Mexican patterns in everyday life?