Sewing a DIY Purse of Felt

Today's tutorial is devoted to the production of a roomy and functional purse of a classic shape from felt. I'll show you how you can sew a purse spending minimum time and getting maximum enjoyment :)
Let's start :)

You need:

• dense felt, not very thick, in grey or any other colour — 1-1.2 mm
  • beautiful fabric, leather, suede or any other material for a decorative insert
  • zipper 15-16 cm
  • metal clasp of any convenient construction
  • sealing material (see the steps below)
  • thread, needles, scissors and other sewing tools
  • iron
  • sewing machine
  • printer for printing the patterns

When all the materials are prepared, you need to print out the pattern. I have tried to make it in the most convenient way — placed them on A4 sheets that can be printed in 1:1 scale.

Note! To get the patterns in a larger size, click each of the 4 following images with the right mouse button and select "Open in new tab" — then the image appears in a bigger size. Save each of them and print.

There is a square with sides of 1 by 1 cm on the last sheet — it is given for checking the printouts and to verify the scale (that is, the box should be 1 by 1 cm on the printed page).

The pattern is copyright and is given here for personal non-commercial use, when copying on other sites I ask you to remember this and indicate the source :)

I recommend to print it directly on thick paper — not less than 200 g/m2, then it will be much easier to transfer the outlines to the material.

Cut out all parts along the unbroken lines. The dashed lines mark the seam lines and markings. It is desirable to transfer them on the material when cutting, too.

Begin to cut. Prepare the necessary materials: felt, fabric and sealing material.

All parts of felt can be cut out without additional seam allowances, just mind the basic ones - of inner and outer walls, I recommend to leave a seam allowance for them of about 1 cm for the final smooth trimming.

Cut out the sides and details for the inner pocket with a zipper in two copies, all the rest - in one copy.

The detail of fabric is cut out along the inner perimeter of the felt frame for the outer side, with a 1 cm allowance.

The sealing material for the fabric insert is cut exactly the same way but without the seam allowances.

I used soft sealing material on an adhesive base for the fabric insert. Remember, that it's often the sealing that determines and defines the quality and appearance of an item. First of all this touches upon handbags and purses.

Glue the sealing on the fabric insert with the iron:

Now combine the fabric insert with the felt frame and sew the details with a running stitch.

You can now stitch the perimeter on the sewing machine.

It is now the second seal. This is a special sealing for bags, so called, of German production. It is quite expensive, today it's just over 1,300 rubles per running meter (width 90 cm), adhesive, dense, rather thin, but very tough.

Cut out the sealing a couple millimeters smaller than the felt frame — just for so that it didn't stick out of the seam.

Glue with the iron. In the next photo you can clearly see the ratio of the size of the sealing part and the markings on felt.

Now start arranging the inside of the purse. Start with the pockets. First, make decorative stitches along the upper sides (anywhere where semicircular cut-outs are found) of all the pocket and side details.

Combine the details of the pockets in accordance with the scheme of the pattern.

And consistently stitch them to each other on the machine forming two units with pockets.

Apply the blocks to the main part of the inner side of the purse. The layout will help to do it right.

Stitch.

The inner part is ready, now proceed to the zip pocket.

Combine the zipper with one of the two parts and sew them together with a running stitch.

Then, without cutting off the thread, put detail 2 from the other side combining it with the zipper and tack the two details at once.

The details are aligned and fixed, you can stitch them. So this is what it looks like from the back side:

And from the right side:

Cut the ends of the zipper, or scorch. Stitch the two detail of the pockets along the perimeter and cut the inner one along the seam.

The last thing to do is to fold the pocket in half and put another stitch:

Such a pocket turnes out:

Now combine it with the side details.

To do it, first tack them:

And then sticth on the sewing machine:

Most of the work is already done, just connect all the blocks of the details and fix clasps:

Set them according to the markings, the lower part of the clasp:

The upper part from the back:

The top is set a bit later.

Combine the inner and outer sides of the purse:

Now pay a special attention to the markings on the seam — stitch along the perimeter except the places indicated by marks! The photo shows where you need to leave seamless edges:

Now, take the zip pocket with side inserts and stitch it between the markings adding the missing seams:

Bend the purse and add 2 last seams to the sides, it is desirable to tack them before to make the line smooth.

Here it is! Everything is ready, the only thing left is to trim off the excess of felt along the seams — try to cut exactly using sharp scissors.

It is left to put the top of the clasp:

All is done!

Wish you all felt creativity! I appreciate your support!