Embroidery Technique from Florene: The Forgotten Bargello and Its Limitless Possibilities

I first saw this technique in one of encyclopedias about embroidery — a few scant words about its history, basic rules and features. There was nothing special about the technique in these words. Just one of the options of the counted-thread embroidery. But there were pictures beside. Something like this:

Since then I just fell in love with this technique. Now this amazing technique is a little forgotten. But Bargello is little by little gaining popularity among artists working with quilting, knitting and polymer clay. Bargello on Jersey is obliged to Missoni Home for its popularity: the famous zigzag was invented in the middle of the 20th century. But the embroidery that originally used these patterns, yet despite its simplicity, is just beginning to conquer the hearts of needlewomen.

Two countries are fighting for the title of the Motherland of this technique: Italy and Hungary. According to one legend, this technique originated from Hungary and then was allegedly brought to Florence. Anyway, Bargello got its special spread and popularity in Florence. Even during the Renaissance, Italian ladies loved the brilliance of decoratively embroidered fabrics and began to use them to adorn the interior.

A classic Bargello pattern is "flame". That is why this embroidery is often called "flaming". For more similarity with fire, the embroidery has characteristic stretchings when several shades or tints of one color with the transition from light to dark or pale to saturated are used. Sometimes sharp ends are replaced by more fluid pattern and the picture resembles sea waves.

There is always one traditional rule — all stitches in one row must be of the same size. So, after the first row is sewn, the rest are sewn by sample very quickly, as a mistress has no need to look at the scheme.

Absolutely amazing effects can be achieved when arranging classic patterns of squares. A great care is required since the corners where parts of the pattern are joined may be lost very easily.

Over time, this technique became a little complicated — the combination of different parts of the pattern became more complex, sometimes stitches are guided in different directions, the length of stitches in a row is not necessarily the same. Modern embroidery usually combines the traditional Florentine embroidery with other counted-thread embroideries.

The possibilities of this technique are just endless. Now, the main application of this embroidery is interior decoration. Since the Renaissance, cushions are of high demand.

And of course, their miniature twins — pincushions:

Also the classical use of Bargello is seat upholstery and stool covers:

This Bargello copes with any decorative task:

And finally, I would like to add some absolutely unreal examples of this amazing magical art of embroidery.

I hope my post will inspire you! Thank you for reading!

Peace and beauty around!