How to Make a Carved Wooden Box

In this tutorial, I'll tell you about the production of boxes with a Diamond pattern.

First of all, outline the steps of work, you will have three:
1. Preparation.
2. Markup.
3. Carving.
They may seem simple, but where is the trap? No, it's really simple, and the trick is not here, and if there is, I can't find it. Well, okay, let's go ahead to the step planned earlier.

Step 1 — Preparation.
At this step, you need certain tools, and I'll divide them into basic and relatively basic.
Below, the picture is set:

In the figure we see the following tools:
1. Chisel.
2. Linden blank (a box, 6х6х5 cm).
3. Mechanical pencil.
4. Ruler.
5. Syringe needle.
6. Transparent joiner's glue.
The picture lacks some tools, but anyway I will write them down:
7. Sticking plaster.
8. Sandpaper, grit 80, 160, 400.
9. Brush with bristles of medium hardness.
10. A sketch of the ornament.
Step 2 — Markup.
At this step, you need the following:
1. Box, that is, a blank.
2. Pencil.
3. Ruler.

4. A sketch of the ornament.

The pattern is divided into 6 sections: 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C. Sections 1 are ornaments for the lid of the box, its upper part. Section 1A is a pattern of the edge. Section 1B — the central part of the ornament. Section 1C — all together. Sections 2 provide ornaments for sides and central parts. Section 2A — is an ornamental edge. Section 2B — the central figure of the pattern. Section 2C — all together.

Proceed to the markup:

Put the ruler on the box so that the lines were located as uniformly as possible along each edge, as shown above. There may be a fallibility of 1.5 mm on each side or less. It's important to mark up the net.

Put the notches every 5 mm.

Then, sequentially connect them to get parallel lines.

Once you get the layout on the lid, proceed to the sides.

It is much easier to make it if the lid is marked. Just put the notches down from the existing notches. It is left only to apply the bottom row of notches and vertical lines on the sides.

After all hat, the box looks like this:

Begin to apply the ornament:

You can apply it the way you like. Who cares what has been planned :)

Proceed to the sides:

And, the final touch:

Step 3 — Carving.

At this step, you need 2 - 3 things. Why?

1. Cutter.
2. Box.
3. A sheet of paper (to save the wood from unpleasant greasy spots when pressing and carving).
So, let's start:
From the side. There is a gentle part where the lid is attached to the box, so it's better to start here.

Fix the box so that the edge looked at us vertically. Step back 1.5 - 2 mm from the edge, and make a cut at the angle of about 45 - 50 degrees.

Make a track in order not to waste a lot of time on the same element.

The horizontal "track" is ready. Turn around the box and proceed to vertical cuts.

Now make the finishing diagonal cuts so that you had an almost identical row of triangles.

Ready. The track is done, proceed to the next one.

This part is ready.

Go on carving.

Make cross cuts.

Make the cuts not on the line but next to it. It's simpler to cut the pencil after sanding rather than to have the sides crumbling and breaking from subtlety.

Next, make diagonal cuts.

Now make longitudinal cuts and complete these elements.

As you see, you have got fibres that need to be removed — so carefully cut them.

Crush the longitudinal fibres and put them back into the slots.

Step by step, the main ornament comes out!

Move to the next parts. Make diagonal cuts.

Cut the longitudinal fibres.

Start the next element with a transverse cut. Be careful, as the reverse side is thinned with the preceding element.

Then, a diagonal cut.

And a longitudinal one to complete the element.

The following elements are also cut as the previous ones, slowly and carefully.

Further, perform all elements as the previous ones. I want to draw attention only to the following: see that the box did not open.

Otherwise, you risk to ruin the pattern or injure yourself. And these are absolutely unnecessary things.

The result is the following geometric pattern.

Get down to the lid.

The whole process is quite the same. Therefore, I show the final result.

Proceed to the final part — sanding. It's all quite simple, the main thing is to periodically remove dust with a brush and make sure that the elements are all in their places.

Ready, the box is sandpapered!

And then everyone decides what to do with this box: stain, or varnish, or wax. The box will look more elegant, and wood will wear out less! But, again, don't hurry, remember that all fibres should be removed.

In conclusion, I want to thank you for reading this DIY. I hope that it was interesting.

Again, thank you very much and wish you all the best!

Yours,

Andrey