A Magical Transformation of Patrick, or How to Renew an Upholstery

This chair manufactured by IKEA is called Patrick. It faithfully served for about 10 years and frayed, has undergone several restorations.

The task: fix the upholstery.

Decision: it was decided to decorate the worn out parts of the chair along the contour of the seams with a linen printed fabric. To do this, choose a dense unbleached linen. The main problem is that flax fabric is not elastic, therefore you should try to make a pretty accurate pattern. For that, I decided to remove the native cover.

Take out the clips, that fix the cover.

Patrick's giblets look quite problematic, but there is no way back, continue:

At the end, I had a naked foam Patrick and the ability to wash the cover for the first time in 10 years :) (of course in cold water). The fabric on the cover is of a very high quality, resembles felt and is quite sturdy, but the time has done its job — the fabric was worn through.

After washing, straighten the cover on the table and make a rough pattern on a newspaper for the cover part you need.

Cut out the fabric in one piece, despite the fact that in the original the inner part consists of three parts.

Now the most enjoyable part of the process is to choose a stamp and apply the pattern on the fabric.

Selected a geometric one — with triangles.

Any geometric pattern requires precise execution. Therefore, please figure out which part of it would get into the seams and what it will presumably look like on the armrests. The chosen of colour was black, like the cover. Dissolve the acrylic paint and apply the pattern.

By the way, if I had decided to completely remake the cover and make it out of alike fabric, the result would have been worse. The ornament does not look too gaudy in the combination with the main fabric.

The fabric is ready, but it looks too strict, so I decided to add a few bright triangles.

The next step was to put the cover back on Patrick and manually sew the central segment to the seams of the cover. Use a semicircular needle.

Now yoг can put on and fix the cover. The new fabric will stretch on Patric together with the cover. You will need a stapler and clips of 6-8 mm height.

So, the cover is fixed, it's left only to stretch and sew the fabric. To do this, pin the top seams, then the side ones and finally fix the corners.

The next part of the process is quite time consuming, but the final appearance depends on it. I sew the fabric along the perimeter with a concealled seam using black threads — along the existing seams.

Yay! Patrick is ready and will serve at the pleasure of the hostess :)