DIY and Inspiration: Restoration and Painting of a Chest

Now I will show a complex process which took around a month. I failed to write a detailed tutorial, so I post those photos, which I took in the process. And comment on it.

1. Here's what I had. A very old, cracked chest of drawers. Yes, yes - right from a grandma and it was stored in a cellar, or the attic of my client for many years. Photo 1 - 4 was taken by Sycheva Irina http://www.livemaster.ru/ireneya

3. Finally, admire the artistic natural crackles... to be honest, this dresser was not so beautiful, Irina has fount the right point of view!

5.Ruthlessly remove old paint and varnish with chemical means or physical efforts (with the help of a beloved husband). Sandpaper it several times, prime - sand, primу again.... and so until the surface of the chest is flat and smooth. It was a plaeasure for me to watch the process how the husband did it.

6.It was so smooth that didn't need polishing.

7. Found the right colour. Took the photo from the catalogue and sent to the customer.

8. In this photo, the chest is grey and the mistress of the house was terrified and confused, until I sent her photo 7.

Old planks on the boxes were replaced by new ones, painted the colour, 2 shades darker than the main colour of the chest. Balusters were also painted this colour.

9.Broken locks on the drawers were removed, the holes were coated and painted the primary colour.

10. What to do when inspiration comes? There is an apple tree outside, it was in blossom then. And these sprigs inspired me to take a new design of painting. It was last spring:)))

12. That's what I did in the sketch

13.Here the customer and me were deciding whether to leave the old handles or replace with new ones.

14.The choice fell on the old ones.

15. Apply the sketch using the painting tape (it leaves no traces) and see what it's look like.

16. I decided to add more flowers to the center of the composition. Paint the rest of the dressers the same way.

17 Make final touches before the photo shoot.

18. Put the chest of drawers on a sheet of plywood so it didn't stick into the grass. Find a lighted place.

What do I miss in this chest now? Yes! The shabbies which were washed, stained, restored..... If I did this dresser for myself, I would have added at least some "artificial" worn-outs.

All questions on this work can be asked below.