Folk Motif: Painting a Shirt

A good friend of mine asked me with to paint the collar of a shirt for her son on his leaving the kindergarten. She chose a folk pattern. It is clear that kids grow up quickly and buying an embroidered shirt is expensive as it will be small next year. And it is easier to choose embroidery for girls who are easier to be adorned. I think that painting is the best option in such case.

And the most important is that there is no need in buying a lot of expensive materials.

You only need:

- acrylic paints for fabric: red, yellow, and black, may be green, but it's optional

- 2 brushes – synthetic flat 4 and round squirrel 1

- simple pencil and eraser

So, I painted poppies.

I used a ready shirt fabric, it looked like a polyester one.

First, outline the flowers with an ordinary pencil, the leaves are not obligatory – they are randomly painted later. Pencil is easily erased from cloth — if you want to remove a flower — but do not make excessive use of it. Sketch the flowers from the corners of the collar, since they are more noticeable.

Then use a flat brush and red paint, properly diluted in water: apply the strokes towards the middle of the flower. As the paint is liquid, it will slightly run, as it should be, because poppies have tender and transparent petals. If you use thick paint, you'll get roses, not poppies.

The closer to the middle, the thicker the petals look — make the colour brighter.

After that, proceed to drawing the middle. First yellow, then add volume with yellow mixed with black, it turns into a greenish tint.

Now paint the middles — apply thick black paint with the thin round brush.

Once all flowers are painted, start painting the green. You can use olive brown paint or mix yellow and black.

It is characteristic of poppies to have prickly leaves, thin stems and very touching buds like our heads bowed. First, draw the stems and buds, and fill the remaining space with leaves.

And here is the finished shirt:

The friend was very pleased with the result .

I was also very pleased with the result! Now I'm thinking of painting a couple of blouses for me and my daughter.

Thank you for your attention!