Create a Tree Bark Bracelet of Shibori with a 3D-effect

The term Shibori originates from a Japanese verb Shiboru which is 'squeeze' or 'compress', and explains the process of treating the source material to produce the desired effect.

Various Shibori techniques are used for painting and creating fabric patterns based on pressing it in a certain way preventing the flow of dye to some areas of pressed material.

The use of Shibori also allows you to change the surface structure of the source material to create a three-dimensional effect in some natural fabrics, such as wool and silk. An advantage of woolen fabrics is that wool fibers unlike silk keep their shape even after washing (although they beacome smoother a little). While silk loses the effect after the first washing or contact with hot steam.

When used for nuno-felting, Shibori effect enhances and becomes more stable. Moreover, felt takes on a new unusual quality — it becomes stretchy.

There is an infinite number of ways of wrapping, folding, twisting fabric for Shibori, and each gives a unique result.

Today we will see a few.

And so, the first Marling shibori — this method gets its name from small glass marble balls which are put inside a fabric and knotted to create the desired effect. To obtain the most interesting and unusual effects, one can use a variety of shapes and sizes. In the result, the size is reduced 2-3 times.

I will not describe here how prefelt is made, I have two layers of finely layed-out wool and thin silk over it, painted with colour transfer.

Materials needed: buttons — 3 pcs, polyester thread, needle, prefelt.

Take a button, put it inside, wrap with cloth.

Knot with the thread. It should contain polyester, otherwise it will be felted.

Next, make a loop for fastening

and tighten.

Another method is mokute shibori which means 'a drawing on the bark of a tree' and received its name after the visual effect that is achieved due to the fact that the material is hand stitched in rows, and then tightened, the end is fixed and felted up to the end this way. After the item dries out, the threads are removed.

Here I stitched the bracelet:

Then tightened the threads, made a knot and began to felt up to the end.

Thread are removed from the dried item. The cloth is very soft.

That's what turnes out, the most important is that it is unique and warms the hand.

Shibori ribbons adorn things, give them some additional zest. You can embroider it with beads.

Here are some tippets made in the technique of drawing with silk and elements of Shibori. There are Shibori silk wraps from two sides of the red tippet.

This is only the beginning, a lot of interesting ideas are found in the book by Annette Quentin-Stoll "Experiment".

Here are some pages.

Ask me if you have any questions about the DIY or the book.

Wish you good luck!