Make Almost Real Tulips of Felt

It is almost spring outside, the nature awakens, our feelings awaken from winter lethargy. I wanted to decorate myself with something incredibly spring-like. I offer make felt tulips, just like the real ones. I have been wearing a spring scarf with tulips for several years, and complete strangers have asked me to let them look at and touch the scarf for several times.

You need

- 18 micron red, yellow and green Merino wool

- silk fiber

- silk handkerchiefs of the same colour

- and balls for table tennis

At first, make the flowers. I usually make three simultaneously. Above, you can see the template for the wool layout. Two plump layers or four thin ones are layed out perpendicularly to each other, and the latter repeats the roundness of the template. Make 6 blanks, two for each flower.

Put a net on them, pour water and soap. Give the flowers the desired shape with fingers according to the template.

Next, decorate the flowers with silk fibers (they are already weted and almost unseen on the lower photo). Put a little piece of yellow wool on the edges of the petals and cover with some pieces of Mavata silk handkerchiefs. If there are no handkerchiefs, you can do without them.

Put a bit of green wool on 3 blanks — hey are the tops of the tulips.

You can also decorate them with green silk.

Cover all with a net, wet, soap, then cover with film and process with vibrogrinding machine and put aside.

Then make the leaves. Put silk fibers over the green wool.

Soap, felt, process with the machine.

Make the stems. Divide a piece of wool into three parts and twist the semi-dry loose bundles of 25 cm in length. Then lay out the pieces of wool to make a colour transition, spray water on them and gently roll in the bubble film into strips. Felt the cords on the soaped mat.

Felt the flowers and leaves of tulips together. Twist in roll, press on the table, rub with hands in plastic gloves, etc, as you like.

When the little flowers dry out, put the two blanks together and pierce the middles to insert a stem. The stem is sewn onto the inside of a tulip and cut at the roots.

You get 3 such pieces (the stem is not yet felted up to the end)

Next, soak the flowers in the solution of cellulose (or solvitose, or, what is easier, of wallpaper glue that is diluted in water; I used KIEO) and shape them using the tennis ball. You can use eggs. So did I, until one egg had been broken. So take hard-boiled eggs.

Fix the flowers with masking tape. Do not use threads, as the traces would remain.

Put them on the battery, take out the balls the next day, and the tulips are almost ready. It is left to sew leaves to them.

Here they are, just like real!

Now you can attach them to your spring scarf, or sew a brooch pin to one (or all three flowers at once) and fix on your clothes. Spring is the best time for this.