Recycling Polymer Clay Scraps: How to Make a Striped Pendant

In this tutorial I want to tell you how to make a hollow pendant with a simple striped pattern using scraps of polymer clay. The question of scraps disposal is always relevant for all clay craftsmen!

So, let's start!

You need:

1. Polymer clay (scraps)

2. Knife

3. Round shape cutter

4. Knitiing needle

5. Tracing paper

6. Food film

7. Rolling-pin

8. Needle

9. Surface for baking (tile)

10. Pipe (or a small cutter, cap, lid)

11. Pasta machine

12. Acrylic block

13. Rubber cord

I had many strips of polymer clay of different colours left.

Collect all strips into a roll.

Hold one end in your hand and twist another one. Try to make all stripes parallel each other.

Press the spiral resulting from twisting with the acrylic block.

Pass it through the pasta machine. First, at 0 thickness, then at 2.

You will notice as the strips became stretched out and smooth.

Put the layer on the working surface so that the strips were horizontal. Now make parallel lines with the needle or a toothpick with a little pressure at the distance of approximately 1cm strictly from top to bottom!

Turn the sheet at 180 degrees and draw lines from top to bottom between the ones you have already made.

Smooth the lines through the tracing or wax paper with the acrylic block.

Roll the future bottom of the pendant (substrate) up to the ceramic tile with the rolling-pin. You will also bake the item on it.

Put the layer on the round shape cutter with the right side down. Slightly press it against the edge, but not cutting through the clay layer yet. Make a hollow with your finger in a circular motion.

Connect the lower and upper parts of the pendant blank. Remove the excess of clay.

Pierce the pendant with a fine needle. I recommend to make a small hole in hollow elements! Otherwise, when baking, an item may crack. Do it right before baking.

Make the hole through plastic file.

Bake it 20 minutesat at the temperature of 110-130 degrees. After baking, remove the sharp corners (take the chamfer away) with sandpaper of different grit.

Pass the cord)

I hope this simple tutorial was useful! I wish you much inspiration and creative successes!