Eternal Terrarium DIY Project (Closed Ecosystem)

While all people are storing jam in jars, I store moss:) It is not yummy or eatable, though pretty cute and entertaining.

So, first go to the nearest forest or park, take a container, bags and some tools to work with the soil. Gather low-growing plants (I collected mostly moss), stones and all sorts of other treasures like cones. Don't forget to dig out plants together with soil and go home.

At home, look for a jar with a tightly fitting lid. You can just store the ecosystem in a jar, the ability to open a jar may be very useful for watering plants at first, until the system stabilizes. Wash the jar thoroughly inside and wipe dry. I took a jar with the volume of 750 ml, but vessels of other sizes can be used.

You also need drainage. I use coal, you can also use expanded clay aggregate or pebbles.

You'll also need a spray bottle with water for irrigation.

If you have a small vessel with a narrow neck, take pincers.

Lay out the treasures, sprinkle a little water on the plants to keep them alive.

Put the drainage layer.

Drainage is a small layer of soil. Don't forget to slightly sprinkle it with water.

Now think of what you want to put in the jar.

My jar was quite small, so neither a cone nor an acorn fitted. It is not necessary to fill the jar up to the top, leave at least 1/3 space free.

When you're satisfied with the result, spray the plants with water from the spray bottle and close the lid (don't forget to put an elastic under it).

It's better to put the jar there, where no direct sunlight reaches it, and check at first to see if the moss dries up or not — so spray it, if necessary. Ideally, the ecosystem in the jar balances when condensation is seen on the walls and watering is no longer required.

If you decide to make an eternal terrarium yourself, or you already have it — share photos in the comments!

I'll share a few photos from the Internet for ideas and inspiration.

Very small terrariums, which, in my opinion, would look really well on your desk.

Here is another example of a closed ecosystem that is very popular on the net — an everlasting terrarium in a light bulb.

And here's a closed ecosystem which is more than 40 years old! It belongs to gardener David Latimer, who corked this bottle in 1972 and has never opened it since then.