Making a Pipe of Marl

I want to tell you about an affordable and simple way of creating a pipe in the case of my first tube.

I used a minimal number of tools, minimum material, and the main requirement is your desire.

What you need.

1. Tools: long awl or elongated drill of the desired length with a thickness of 3 mm, 8 mm drill, drill or screwdriver, knife, flat needle file, saw, sandpaper of 60 g, 80 g and 120 g, pencil, marker.
  2. Materials: wood, stone (I used marl, a Crimean soft rock). If the blanks are of the form you need, this will greatly simplify your work. PVA glue, heat resistant sealant. Thread / leather / fabric / beads / paint — in short, everything that will come up with for decor.
  3. Place: if home, then not in the bedroom for sure! There will be be a lot of dust from marl, and shavings from wood, too, I think it will not delight your family members and animals. A balcony is optimal.

The first thing is to draw the scetch on the blank.

At the time I was young and foolish and made such scetches carelessly.

That's right — draw all the holes of the bores to make it easier to monitor the progress of drilling.

Drill a cup. Apply drills to the blank to make marks on it with the marker for depth control. First, make a hole for the smoke with the drill of 3 mm, then a cup for tobacco with the 8 mm drill; the more precise the markup is, the better the bores would match. Then make a bore for smoke at the depth of approximately 10 mm with the 8 mm drill. This will be a groove for the mouthpiece.

With a hacksaw, you can saw off the excess, I usually make beads of it.

The next step: expand the cup with a knife and sandpaper and give the pipe the desired shape. This is the dustiest part of all. I normally make is when walking through the forest, along the seashore, etc.

The cup is ready, start making the mouthpiece.

Mark the entring holes and the direction of drilling.

If you can't find a long drill, you can burn through the hole with a long awl, heating it in fire. But the way is more laborious, less reliable and very smoky.

Work with the mouthpiece is the same as with the cup. The knife, sandpaper and your imagination. After giving the desired shape, saw off a circle of 8 mm from the grooving end with the flat needle file so that it could be inserted into the cup. If you have overdone something, never mind — wind a thread to make it tight.

Polish the parts with a fine sandpaper and a felt.

Then insert the mouthpiece into the cup and fix it with a heat-resistant sealant or PVA (which is not very reliable because it doesn't resist high temperatures). After drying, decor it all with whatever is on hand, in my case I still use jute, which I fix and coat with the PVA .

At the end, you get a nice little thing, which will be a joyful gift to receive for one of your friends.

The shape, pattern and colour depend on you.

If someone wants to make a pipe, you're always welcome to ask for a piece of advice!

Peace to all!