DIY Project on How to Carve a Wooden Vase

For those who is into wood carving, such a vase is no big deal, except, of course, the complexity. But I hope some parts of the tutorial can be useful.

So, cut off a piece of a log (of a lime tree this time) of the necessary size, of a more or less circular cross-section.

In our case, the vase needs to be carved with a relief of two fish rising up in a spiral. Since the vase is called A Dream of a Fisherman, the fish will be a pike. Well, I just see the dream of a fisherman in our region this way :)

Cut out a paper picture of the pike (the template), apply it to the cylindrical surface, draw the outline with the pencil twice, and proceed directly to carving.

Step 1. Make the difference in levels between the pike's body and the surface of the vase. Give the pikes thickness.

Step 2. Add more real shape: round, thin, pop up. At this stage, I began carving the inside of the vase (to make it easier, I drilled many many holes as close as possible over the entire area, and then removed wood with chisels).

Step 3. Attention to details: scales, fins, gills, mouth.

Step 4. Perfect the background.

Step 5. A dusty and boring process begins: polishing the inner surface of the vase — use an electric drill and sandpaper for that.

Well, painting with stains follows, use brilliant green or acrylic paints. By the way, I used paints for eyes only. There is no extravagance — just a brush.

Although there is one moment at the end, you'd better pay attention to. White spots of the pike are not the paint but the natural colour of wood. After colouring the body, the spots were simply carved up to bare wood. The white areas of the background appeared similarly, except for the tool — I used sandpaper.

And the finishing colorless acrylic lacquer layers:

Good luck and thank you for your attention!