How to Illuminate a Dark Side of Your Item When Shooting

It is hard to call such post a tutorial, but it seems to me that this secret will help someone to make beautiful advertising photos.

Everyone knows that the best picture is made with natural light. Ideally, it is diffused from both sides. But tell me, where to find a room where light comes from two sides? Not every apartment or house has large windows on the north side. Yes! Almost nowhere...

And the best option is a single window with this diffused light.

An the beginning of my amateur photographer career, I used a piece of cardboard that was wrapped with foil. It was quite fine. Then it was replaced by a silver tray. Silver sounds cool, but... silvery, actually :)

And later I bought a professional photo-reflector.

You can buy it easily in a camera store offline or on any Internet store. A regular reflector with one silver and another white sides is good.

But sometimes it happens so that the reflector is not at hand...

In such situations, you can easily use an ordinary household mirror with a rack. And, frankly, I use it in other situations. After all, no reflector has a rack and I don't have an assistant. And it perfectly reflects the light from the window on your item from the other side.

That's about how it happens. The most important is to fond the right angle of reflecting.

And here are photos for comparison with the same camera settings, but with and without the reflector. You can easily learn which is which.

A mirror, which you'll use as a photo reflector, has only one minus. It gives a very bright reflex. Rather, a more vivid reflex than of a professional reflector.

This disadvantage results in darker shades on the shady side. You can see it in the above photo with the lapel with buttons. But knowing this disadvantage, you can deal with it.

Sometimes it's better to get a little shade from the paws and illuminate the entire dark side rather than to have a damaged light.

I wish you a beautiful advertising photos and high sales!